PRINCIPAL TECHNICAL PROJECT MANAGER-1
TOGETHER WE ENTERTAIN MORE THAN 750,000 PASSENGERS A DAY WHILE IN-FLIGHT
Thales InFlyt Experience products offer end-to-end solutions that support our customers before, during and after the flight. Thales supplies in-flight entertainment and connectivity experiences to more than 60 airlines around the globe and as a trusted airline partner is committed to building its position as an industry leader. We are proud that our InFlyt Experience systems are used by over 274 million passengers a year.
We are currently looking for a Principal Solution Engineering Manager to join Thales in Melbourne, FL. The Principal Solution Engineering Manager (Principal SEM), with minimal supervision of the Program/Project Leader, leads various teams of engineers and technical staff in the development and management of advanced in-flight entertainment systems, aircraft communication systems, and supporting systems. They are accountable for one or more projects of medium to large complexity and/or cost that are of high significance to the enterprise. They are responsible for delivering a quality product/system that meets both technical and customer requirements. The Principal SEM performs project-level scheduling, reporting, and financial tracking. They facilitate progress for the team and ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget, including working across various functional groups to accomplish goals.
- Lead multi-discipline project teams in the development and fielding of aircraft entertainment and connectivity products
- Responsible for leading all engineering activities related to project success
- Responsible to ensure overall project success including cost, schedule, and technical performance
- Generate and maintain execution plans, schedules, and supporting budgets for projects
- Guarantees commitments to the project including satisfaction of stakeholders requirements within constraints provided by the Architect and the Project Design Authority
- Identifies and staffs projects with the proper skill sets from within the engineering pool needed to ensure Bid / Project / Product delivery
- Provide the programmatic and technical interface to key subcontractors
- Optimizes technical work by organizing system engineering reviews and participating to those of lower level solution elements from design to validation and acceptance
- Tracks competitiveness KPI, performs root cause analysis of problems and conduct associated corrective actions (Performance initiatives) at his/her level
- Responsible to Design, Develop and Qualify the Solution (DDQ), specifically: o Build the Development Strategy
- Produce the System Engineering Management Plan (SEMP)
- Formalize requirements (Sol)
- Design the solution
- Develop the solution through preliminary (PDR) and critical (CDR) reviews
- Support certification and acceptance
- Other duties as assigned by the employee’s manager. Exercises as a Work package Manager, responsible for scope, budget and schedule of the assigned Work Packages
- The Principal SEM leads CFRD/SFRD engineering activities including deliveries and new features/capabilities to internal and external customers.
- Project success results in the advancement of current capabilities and/or delivery to key company initiative or customer(s).
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in field with 8-12+ years of experience or Master’s degree in related engineering discipline, computer science, mathematics, or technology field with 5+ years of experience equivalent working experience with an engineering or science background.
- Strong analytical abilities
- Headcount/budget management
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Good communicator to both internal and external customers
- Ability to multiplex among several projects
- Experience with financial tracking methods and tools (preferred)
- High level of proficiency in MS products such as Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, and Project
- Ability to motivate and deliver results
- Self-starter / Team leader / Mentor / Coach
- Is flexible and adaptable to different environments
- Is able to use situational leadership skills to work collaboratively and influence key stakeholders
- Takes decisions in uncertain and ambiguous contexts
- Able to understand complex situations, create appropriate strategies and simplify them for execution
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 5 to 10 years working experience in system deployment and installation design of a project
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in electronic, software, and or mechanical systems/design development
- Minimum 3 years’ experience leading multi-disciplined engineering teams
- Previous experience in planning, implementing, and leading engineering programs and projects within a matrix organization.
- Understanding of software development methods and electrical/mechanical design
- Networking, SATCOM, and/or communication systems design experience
- Software and/or Hardware development design experience
- Plans and carries out work assignments
- Persuasive powers & able to remain calm under crisis
- Resolves most conflicts which arise
- Coordinates work with others as necessary
- Interprets policy on own initiative in terms of established objectives and in-line with Standard Operational Policies
- Keeps Management informed of progress, potentially controversial matters, or far-reaching implications
Are you ready to be part a part of something big? If your skills, experience and attitude are a match and you’re looking for an exciting challenge, please apply now using the link below and we will be in touch.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.