FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER
We are currently looking for a Field Service Engineer to join the Thales Avionics, a subsidiary of Thales USA team in New York, New York.
The Field Service Engineer serves as a technical interface between an airline (or airlines) and the entire Thales organization regarding all post-delivery support. The FSE is expected to work with both the customer and internal Thales departments to identify, document, and solve in-flight entertainment issues pertaining to software, hardware, applications, line maintenance, repair, aircraft interface systems, wiring, and third party equipment. These fixes range from “real time” to project lasting several months.
The FSE will ensure customer satisfaction issues are relayed back to the larger Thales organization, and will recommend commercial, technical, and operational actions to improve customer satisfaction. The FSE should be good at identifying the primary concerns within the airline, and suggesting and/or prioritizing internal Thales resources on what issues to resolve first.
- Externally represent Thales Avionics to the airline(s) assigned, performing as the primary interface for post-delivery issues and overall customer satisfaction. The FSE will be expected to communicate open issues, action plans, and schedules to the customer with poise and clarity.
- Internally speak as the “voice of the customer” representing the airline’s point of view in internal Thales customer satisfaction or sales pursuit meetings. The FSE should be an active participant in providing customer information and feedback.
- Identify and drive post delivery issues to a successful resolution. This involves working together on a regular basis with Thales Media, Thales Central Support, Thales Regional Team, Thales Engineering, and Thales Operations. The FSE should drive open issues to closure.
- Function as the technical expert on-site with the airline, advising the customer’s engineering, maintenance, and planning departments on both the operation and maintenance of the system.
- Conduct investigations on the installed systems to assist and provide guidance to the airline and internal personnel in troubleshooting the system as well as feedback to Thales Engineering.
- Participate in the quarterly business reviews with the customer giving an update on system, repair, and maintenance performance. FSE is also expected to conduct regular ongoing, less in-depth meetings with the airline.
- Be present and take the lead in first of type software and/or media loads in the field. May be required to perform “fly-along support”.
- Be involved in the creation, modification, and customer qualification of the maintenance planning document specific to the airline(s) managed.
- Ensure that Thales meets all technical and operational obligations and requirements for any active support contracts with the customer
- Ensure the customer meets all technical and operational obligations and requirements contained within any active support contracts with the customer.
- Witness or assist Engineering in conducting the FSAT for the system.
- Perform technical training as needed to internal Thales maintenance staff.
- Look at historical trends, BITE reports, and maintenance records, to recommend long-term and proactive maintenance actions. The FSE is expected to provide recommendations regarding “chronic issues” (aircraft type/aircraft tail/unit locations).
- Work with the customer and Thales Operations Center to ensure applicable service bulletins are approved through the airline’s quality organization and incorporated into the regular build standard.
- Be onboard the aircraft on a regular basis, especially focused on chronic or underperforming aircraft or those with particularly difficult faults to troubleshoot.
- Significant travel (domestic and/or international) may be required to support additional airlines and service locations.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in the airline maintenance and maintenance planning; avionics experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience working remotely and interacting directly with customers
- Associates Degree required; preferred Bachelor Degree in Science or Technology
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant certification or Certificate of a Repairman
- Knowledge in: Satellite TV networks, large ground networks, audio/video processing, wireless Ethernet and signal processing
- Aircraft maintenance planning techniques such as MSG3
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.