The primary role of the Machinist/Mechanic – Machinist/Mechanics provide competent and effective mechanic maintenance support to Plant operations. The ability to perform work safely, meet the needs of Operations, execute the maintenance program and comply with all safety codes is paramount. The Machinist/Mechanic must identify, troubleshoot and repair problems in mechanical systems that occur in production equipment. He/she must be able to run tests, isolate problems, remove/replace failed components, determine failure modes by studying worn components and perform other tasks as necessary. He/she also performs preventive maintenance and upgrades to mechanical systems.
Function Specific Activities:
The Machinist/Mechanic is recognized as skilled and knowledgeable in mechanical systems and is sought out to support troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, and night production support.
Responsibilities and Duties:
In the performance of his/her duties, the Machinist/Mechanic:
- Performs preventive maintenance on mechanical systems to include disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, and calibration.
- Acts on information obtained from operators in order to diagnose equipment problems. Cleans, lubricates, and adjusts parts, equipment, and machinery.
- Disassembles machinery and equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Examines parts for defects such as breakage and excessive wear.
- Observes and tests the operation of machinery and equipment in order to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters and other testing devices.
- Operates newly repaired machinery and equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs. Reassembles equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Repairs and maintains the operating condition of industrial production machinery and equipment.
- Repairs and replaces broken or malfunctioning components of machinery and equipment.
- Studies blueprints and manufacturers' manuals to determine correct installation and operation of machinery.
- Cuts and welds metal to repair broken metal parts, fabricate new parts, and assemble new equipment.
- Records parts and materials used, and requests new parts and materials as necessary. Records repairs and maintenance performed.
- Sometimes repairs or modifications are performed when blueprints and manufactures specifications are unavailable or incomplete.
- Applies a wide variety of methods, procedures & techniques to lay out, install, align, repair, overhaul, & maintain various types of machines encompassing mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical systems & operation principles.
- Utilizes safety and security practices and procedures following established rules and regulations and maintains a safe, clean, and secure work environment.
- Communicates with management, mechanics, and equipment operators to advise them if there are any potential mechanical hazards.
- Executes the maintenance work schedule as provided by his/her supervisor. Proper execution of the work schedule will require strategic decisions to ensure the scheduled work will be completed within the period scheduled. Keeps the Foreman informed of all issues which may affect the operational capability of the area processes and equipment.
- Seeks assistance from the Foreman on the work priority when confusion or more tasks than manpower exists.
- Examines jobs to be done and determine scope and best way to accomplish the work.
- Ensures the shop is maintained in a safe and orderly fashion. Attends meetings and supports continuous improvement initiatives.
- Recommends equipment to be included in preventive maintenance programs.
- Suggests improvements to all maintenance processes, including planning scheduling, preventive maintenance, Maintains close contact with the Foreman, maintenance crew, the production supervisor and equipment operators.
- Keeps the maintenance supervisor and/or manager properly informed on all abnormal or critical situations and seeks advice on matters outside of their knowledge or authority.
- Performs other tasks and special assignments as requested by management.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: PRINT PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com