Senior Software Engineering Manager, Partner Acquisition
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online experiences together.
About the Team:
The Partner Experience Acquisition team is crucial to our continued dominance in the Vacation Rental and Travel spaces. They are the lifeblood of HomeAway’s supply of new vacation rentals by providing a funnel to create accounts and reach the minimum content required to list the rental. A signature user experience is required to ensure this process is frictionless. The Acquisition funnel interacts with many other teams, services and APIs. From a software engineering perspective, this spans front-end web development, service endpoints, datastores, search indexes, stream processing, and big data jobs. The team continually iterates on the acquisition experience by leveraging A/B testing to build a world-class experience. We also build dashboards for First To Know and Quick To Fix in order to maintain 5 9s uptime and responsiveness.
As the engineering manager, you'll directly manage execution of the development process as well as provide needed career coaching. You’ll be at the forefront of the Partner Experience, building a product that is seen and used by everyone that wants to lists a property with HomeAway. The team prides themselves on having high energy and being very collaborative, while learning with an Agile mindset.
Challenges you will work on:
- 50% Hands on keyboard development time expected to keep your skills sharp and be able to “Walking the walk” with your engineers.
- Being part of an influential team to solve complex engineering problems globally.
- Use real-time data to understand customers' needs before they do
- Present to our leadership teams on solutions and new ideas
- Work with technology leadership, architects, and engineering stakeholders to deliver next generation software platforms
- Make bold decisions with your team to influence a new industry
- Research groundbreaking technologies to help accelerate new solutions for engineering teams
Technologies we use: Java8, Node.js, React, Redux, React Native, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Mongo DB, Spark, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Scala, New Relic, Data Dog, Looker.
Team Size: 7 devs
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2-3+ years of managing a team of 5 or more engineers
- Hands-on abilities with vanilla .JS and modern frameworks (React/Redux preferred, Angular, etc.)
- 5+ years of professional software development experience (Java7/8 preferred, C#/.Net acceptable)
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well across multiple departments
- A data driven scientific problem solver that is passionate about building highly scalable and resilient software.
- Agile software process development experience with focus on visible and continuous improvement.
- Commit to vigilantly build the best team possible
- Take full ownership of success and failures
- Coach your team to be highly effective in an agile environment
- Showcase your work on our tech blog and internal & external conferences
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Parental Leave (up to 20 weeks based on eligibility
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.