Staff NoSQL Database Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unusual places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia Group family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and run bookings online.
About our NoSQL Infrastructure Ops Team:
Data is central to our mission at HomeAway. Everything here is about data whether it is describing a vacation rental, managing a booking calendar, identifying traveler trends, or what feature converts better - data moves this company. The NoSQL Infrastructure Operations team manages a distributed worldwide infrastructure running Cassandra, Elastic Search, MongoDB, Redis and Graph databases. It is comprised of over a thousand node with a footprint in excess of 300TB. This is a great opportunity to join a growing team and make a difference in developing usable, scalable and reliable database solutions.
As a Staff NoSQL Engineer at HomeAway - we lean on you to keep these systems tuned and running at the speed our customers and applications demand. You’ll monitor production databases and leap into action to resolve issues relating to errors and performance. This includes designing and implementing performance metrics to assess service delivery and key performance indicators of our most critical databases. You’re a guide at researching performance bottlenecks and identifying hot spots of activity. You like to minimize surprises by working with test engineers to load test databases, web sites, and services. You can configure alerts and monitoring services that help ensure SLAs of procedure execution.
Work you're doing can include:
- Manage and maintain thousands of production customer databases and Elasticsearch nodes and indexes associated with search capabilities
- Automate and innovate new ways to manage large database clusters and improve existing Elasticsearch performance for our multitude of existing customer bases.
- Push the limits of Elasticsearch, and other relational and NoSQL database technologies
- Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space, such as AWS or GCP/Azure
- Provide Fanatical Support to all of our customers (portfolio or product based) through innovative solutions
- Create sustainable and maintainable environments for our NoSQL and Elasticsearch arenas
- Install, configure, update and solve problems for very large database and search environments and applications
- Collaborate with Engineers, DBA’s, and System Administrators on technical issues
- Be part of the community. Attend conferences, meetups then move towards contribution via wiki articles, then blogging, etc.
Required skills and experience:
- 2+ years experience with Elasticsearch
- 5+ years of Linux/Unix
- 1+ years of Oracle, Postgres, or MySQL
- 2+ years of other NoSQL technology such as Cassandra, Mongo, etc
- 2+ years running highly available, scalable production systems in a fast-paced production environment
- Experience in Large data scale environment, for example, 100+ nodes and Terabytes level per index
- Experience building and developing in both a cloud environment as well as on the direct host level (non-cloud level).
- Proficiency with Python, shell or other languages
- Understanding of data architecture, replication, and administration
- Extensive knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Fast learner, creative thinker, problem solver
- Standout colleague, highly motivated and self-manageable
- Responsible, dedicated and responsive in non-working hours as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable with collaborative tools such as slack, wikis and basic ticket tracking systems (JIRA)
- Action and detail oriented. Highly motivated to drive projects to completion
Desired skills & experience:
- Shell, Ruby, C, Java development or driver experience
- Knowledge of data ecosystem pipelines such as Hive, Pig, Spark, Kafka
- Some knowledge of load balancers, DNS, networking, and/or client side drivers.
- BS/MS in Computer Science
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.