Location: New York or Philadelphia
AppNexus’ mission is to build a better Internet. We develop a technology platform that powers the real-time sale and purchase of digital advertising. Our platform is engineered to provide one of the fastest, most reliable, and massively scaled advertising systems in the industry. As a transparent and independent partner for some of the largest publishers and advertisers, AppNexus helps ensure that the Internet stays open and free.
As an engineer on the Prebid Server team, you have a unique opportunity to work with a growing open source community on the Prebid Server project, designing and developing new features that help to drive adoption. You will also be responsible for creative solutions distilling data at a massive scale into insightful, actionable information for online publishers that use Prebid Server to drive demand.
Consider some of the problems we try to solve:
- Getting Insight: Rapidly process data on an immense scale. Create reports that drive business outcomes and optimizations. Balance granularity and business value with resource cost and efficiency.
- Scaling Open Source: Contribute to a growing open source project and expand and empower its community. Improve quality, drive adoption, and bring innovative features to market.
- Grow a Mature Platform: Reduce latency and error rates. Increase uptime. Maintain speed, availability, and reliability as our client base grows.
About the job:
- Design and develop reliable, scalable and testable Map Reduce jobs
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with team members, product management, open source community members, and other stakeholders
- Build and maintain tools to automate regular testing and deployment
- Consistently optimize and improve our systems, tools, and testing
- Lead design discussions about and approaches to implementing new features
- Serve as a mentor and guide for other team members
About your skills and experience:
- BA/BS degree and 5+ years of experience in software engineering OR MS degree and 3+ years of experience (Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred)
- Familiarity with large-scale distributed data processing (e.g. Hadoop, Spark) and distributed data stores (e.g. Vertica, Druid)
- Experience in start-to-finish deployment of large-scale, multi-TB data processing systems is a plus
- Experience supporting production systems
- Solid experience in Java; bonus if also experienced in Go
More about you:
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools