HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
You’re not just a UX copywriter, although you can write a mean UI flow. You’re also a product storyteller, and a voice-and-tone virtuoso, who can jump into a UX design team and write quickly – and then do it again as you test, learn, and get customer feedback.
If this sounds remotely close to how you’d like to work, then we’d love to find you a home at HomeAway. Our Global Experience Design group is seeking a UX writer for the Partner side of our business, where you’ll create content for the owners and property managers who make their vacation homes available through our Web and app products. (“B2B” is how a more buttoned-up culture would define it — but that’s not our culture.)
If you’re eager to jump in, we’ve got a suite of existing UIs and content tests that could use your writing skills. But we also need your help bringing a user-centered sense of purpose to our product copy, activating our voice across the product, and helping us scale the work to the 24+ languages we support.
On any given day, you’ll:
- Write useful, usable, and meaningful microcopy and UI content (onboarding flows, forms, modals, menus, settings, error messages, notifications, tooltips, etc.) for our Partner website, native apps, and related products.
- Strategically frame your writing decisions around insights from user research, analytics, data science, and iterative testing.
- Use logic, reason, ethics, and empathy to defend your writing decisions and language choices.
- Quickly write and iterate on product content using agile rhythms and lightweight UX practices.
- Collaborate and build rapport with product managers, marketing stakeholders, and your fellow designers.
- Have fun working in our awesome design studio.
At a minimum, you should:
- Have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in one or more writing-related disciplines: creative writing, journalism, technical writing, etc.
- Have a body of work that demonstrates experience writing for user interfaces, mobile-first or native-app scenarios, and related modern contexts.
- Be able to write pristine, compelling copy without editorial support – but also be able to provide editorial feedback as your peers need it.
- Instinctively get what we mean when we talk about a product’s “tone of voice.”
- Have experience working with content style guides for a large, global brand.
- Have an opinion on serial commas, regional idioms, and other word-nerd concerns.
- Be able to work creatively without client briefs – and in many ways write the “brief” as you go. (This isn’t traditional agency copywriting.)
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.