For urban trips a bike is the fastest way to get there, and our bikes are chosen as the preferred transit mode millions of times every year. People ride our bikes for the speed, convenience, and joy enabled by the latest in human-power transport. Motivate provides bike share to the most people in North America, and we build our technology with a wealth of experience behind it. We love making awesome products, and want to work with people excited to create awesome things.About Motivate
Motivate is North America’s leading bike share firm, operating systems in 8 cities including New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Since being acquired in 2014 by a group of investors, including the CEOs of The Related Companies and Equinox, it has successfully undertaken multi-year, major expansions in both New York, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Chicago, and launched Nike’s BIKETOWN in Portland. After integrating with 8D Technologies in early 2017, Motivate has also been building its in-house product portfolio, beginning with the Motivate bike. We have been working closely with vendors—themselves some of the leading names in bike share—to co-develop products including new docking mechanisms, eBikes and Smart Bikes.
Led by a group of seasoned urban visionaries, creative leaders and technology innovators, our mission is to revolutionize the landscape of our cities. In an effort to completely transform the urban experience, Motivate is leading the way in making cities more accessible, healthier and sustainable. We create safe and dependable systems that help make cities great by connecting individuals to the people and places they love.About You
- You read hardware like a composer reads music.
- You’ve studied the tricks from the best, and can translate them into your work. Rapid iteration is a no-brainer.
- You can’t help but fall in love with a problem, and the solution refinement journey gives work its sparkle.
- You’re driven to find answers. If quick research isn’t fruitful, you’re able to invent a simple experiment and get clarity quickly.
- You’re excited to see people using your work, and driven to make sure everything goes smoothly for the millions of people who use our hardware.
- Design mechanical parts and assemblies, electro-mechanical systems, enclosures etc.
- Create and manage drawings, documents, and BOMs.
- Test and assess samples and prototypes.
- Willing to travel overseas approximately 10% of the year for FAI and factory visits.
- Write test plans and make written sense of the results.
- Work alongside mechanics and troubleshoot issues (sometimes in the field).
- Assist Supply Chain team with vendor management, QC documentation, etc.
- Design for manufacturing and assembly
- 6-10 years engineering experience designing products and mechanisms for medium to large production quantities
- Experienced with injection molding, forging, die casting, welding, and sheet metal.
- Strong intuition for reliability, cost, and manufacturing improvements.
- Experience with overseas manufacturing and vendor management
- Knowledge of material science, and understand the challenges of designing for the outdoors.
- Independent problem solving skills and ability to work with little assistance/direction
- Functional understanding of electronics design and motor control fundamentals a plus
- Comfortable with FEA, expert in Solidworks.
- Extensive knowledge of prototyping processes, including rapid prototyping
- Experience designing bicycles and/or electric vehicles a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication
Motivate is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy or any other legally protected status under applicable law. We also provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law, as well as individuals who need an accommodation because of pregnancy. If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please contact [the Human Resources Department or the hiring manager].