For urban trips a bike is the fastest way to get there, and our bikes are chosen as the preferred transit mode millions of times every year. People ride our bikes for the speed, convenience, and joy enabled by the latest in human-power transport. Motivate provides bike share to the most people in North America, and we build our technology with a wealth of experience behind it. We love making awesome products, and want to work with people excited to create awesome things.About Motivate
Motivate International is North America’s leading bike share firm, operating partner systems in multiple cities including; New York Area (Citi Bike), Chicago (Divvy), Washington D.C. (Capital Bikeshare), Portland (BIKETOWN), San Francisco (Ford GoBike), and Boston (Blue Bikes). Since being acquired in 2014 by a group of investors, including the CEOs of The Related Companies and Equinox, it has successfully undertaken multi-year, major expansions. Including integrating with 8D Technologies in Montreal. Motivate has been working closely with vendors—themselves some of the leading names in bike share—to co-develop products including new docking mechanisms, eBikes and Smart Bikes.
Awarded as a Top 10 Most Innovative Company In Social Good by Fast Company for 2018; Motivate is leading the way in making cities more accessible, healthier and sustainable. We create safe and dependable systems that help make cities great by connecting individuals to the people and places they love.About You
- You read hardware like a composer reads music.
- You’ve studied the tricks from the best, and can translate them into your work. Rapid iteration is a no-brainer.
- You can’t help but fall in love with a problem, and the solution refinement journey gives work its sparkle.
- You’re driven to find answers. If quick research isn’t fruitful, you’re able to invent a simple experiment and get clarity quickly.
- You’re excited to see people using your work, and driven to make sure everything goes smoothly for the millions of people who use our hardware.
- You love to make things better and come up with novel solutions to problems
- Design and own electrical subsystem of Motivate’s Ebike
- Research new technologies, components, and products
- Perform detailed power system and battery performance analysis
- Write and execute test plans for electrical hardware and on-street performance
- Provide technical oversight and review support to development teams during product design and development
- Manage external vendors on design, development and production of ebike components
- Develop or identify tools and methods that allow reutilization of designs
- Create prototypes and iterate on ideas quickly
- Estimate costs and BOMs for protoypes, production volumes, and tooling
- 6-10 years engineering experience designing products and electronics for medium to high volumes
- Experience with medium sized Lithium battery packs
- Strong intuition for reliability, cost, and manufacturing improvements
- Experience sourcing parts in China for both prototypes and production
- You know material science, and understand the challenges of designing for the outdoors.
- Independent problem solving skills.
- Experience in embedded electronics design and prototyping
- Familiarity with EDA/ECAD software
Motivate is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy or any other legally protected status under applicable law. We also provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law, as well as individuals who need an accommodation because of pregnancy. If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please contact [the Human Resources Department or the hiring manager].