We believe the spoken word has the power to change people’s lives. Audible has reinvented a media category, becoming a powerhouse of creative and original content. We create sensational entertainment experiences that absorb the listener and enhance the character and quality of daily life. Because nothing can inspire, provoke and challenge like a gripping story – and this could be the beginning of your Audible story.
Software Development Engineer
Audible’s mission is to improve people’s lives by unleashing the power of spoken word content. Audible customers love to listen to great stories. Without great content, there is no Audible!
Within Audible, we own systems that ingest, transform, and ultimately make that content available; what we affectionately call the content platform.
Our team is hiring talented and passionate software development engineers to help deliver new and innovative features and capabilities on the platform.
In a nutshell, massively scaled, automated systems that coordinate all activities required to make spoken work audio come alive and delight our customers, always to the highest standards. These system perform workflow and content management functions that ingest, transform, and ultimately make great spoken word content available in multiple global marketplaces including Amazon.*, Audible.*, and iTunes.
We need customer-focused, detail oriented, innovative, and self-driven software development engineers who enjoy working in an agile, fast-paced environment on highly visible products.
We're a part of Amazon and it's a great partnership. You'll get to use all the technology that powers the best e-commerce platform on the planet. Those technologies include but are not limited to all outwardly available AWS services. And you’ll be part of a culture that loves nothing more than to disrupt the status quo!
Our team specifically delivers the financial solutions for audible including how royalties are paid to authors, narrators, publishers, etc. This system is key to audible’s ability to function as a business.
As a senior engineer on our team you'll be challenged in ways you never imagined as an integral part of morphing an existing system into leading edge solution which is highly scalable, expandable, maintainable and will support the next exponential growth of our business. You will be expected to know about the latest technologies which can be best leveraged to deliver a result oriented solution. Additionally you will be expected to mentor less senior staff on these technologies and how to best leverage them.
You will also be given opportunities to reach higher and further than you ever thought possible by helping transform a high touch system into a fully self-service system. This can only be achieved though skilled design and a well architected system. Your coding chops will need to be the best of the best in multiple languages and you’ll be stretched to understand what makes the business tick in order to transform this system into something the business will embrace.
This is a senior level position. You will have as much to say about how to build these systems as anyone and you will be expected to contribute on this front. Implied in this - you'll need the soft-skills too; influence and passion are key to the success of the team and the company.
· Solid Computer Science or equivalent experience (5+ years)
· Java or equivalent OO language, familiarity with Unix/Linux environments, in depth knowledge of service development with solid experience in code optimization and low-latency computing.
· Well-rounded engineering skills: full-stack development experience - web + services - If you've built something in your spare time send us the link, we'd love to hear about it.
· Strong problem solving skills: adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership.
· A high-quality bar; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.
· Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience.
Don't worry, we'll ramp you up but experience in any of these areas will help you hit the ground running:
· Dependency injection frameworks and associated techniques.
· Angular or other UI framework experience a plus
· Domain Specific Language (DSL) a plus
· ER Modeling a plus
· Financial experience a plus
· Strong architectural abilities to conceive and design not just good systems but great ones which will not be over taxed by our exponential growth.
· Distributed systems, Amazon Web Services.
· Automation - Continuous Integration/Deployment