Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
The System Engineer works on simple to fairly complex system program analysis and system programming assignments. This position performs systems analysis with a focus on internal standards, coding, testing, security, and documentation. This role assists in determining specifications and develops, assists, modifies and expands new and existing system programs. This role also serves as a liaison between the business users and the technical and business intelligence teams for business processes that support the company’s financial and operational planning and reporting workflows and applications. This position performs systems and business process analysis with a focus on translation of business requirements, internal standards, and application development.
II. Essential Job Functions
Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
Works with technical teams to maintain technical environment
- Participates as system engineer on planning application upgrades and patching initiatives
- Ensures that applications and related tools have been patched for security
- Coordinates service requests with technology providers, leveraging other business technology and IT resources
- Performs regular data validation and maintenance activities to ensure continued compatibility of end user tools.
- Develop simple to complex SQL/PLSQL scripts to automate and solve business issues.
- Keep abreast of latest technology and methods around Business Intelligence/Reporting technologies, Customer Relationship Management Systems (CRM), Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP), and Financial Planning applications.
Analyzes, defines, documents, and communicates complex business solutions
- Interviews business users to identify requirements for data, reports, analyses, training, service levels, data quality, performance, and new analytic applications
- Works with technical staff and architects to translate business requirements into technical specifications
- Helps identify and assess potential data sources
- Recommends appropriate scope of requirements
- Validates that applications meet requirements and service level agreements
- Coordinates prototype reviews
- Defines test conditions and test scripts to ensure system stability and integrity
- Prepares logic diagrams and other documentation of business flows and business rules
- Designs and delivers user training on new functions
Recognize industry trends and assist in report development, system maintenance, and project management.
- Monitors and reviews technology and industry direction.
- Provide both high level and detailed technical design documentation for development projects for use by other engineers and departments within the development organization.
- Provide technical evaluation of new Information Technology products or services.
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing applications require change, or where new applications need developed, especially regarding future business expansion.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or similar related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Minimum 3 years of proven experience working as a system engineer, applications super user / administrator, or other technical capacity understanding, documenting, communicating, and executing business requirements
- Minimum 3 years of experience with SQL/PLSQL
- Experience with financial report development using Business Intelligence tools. (i.e. Cognos, MicroStrategy, or Crystal Reports) a plus
- Knowledge of general accounting and financial reporting concepts required
- Minimum 3 years of experience with Unix operating System required
- Knowledge of project management concepts and best practices
- Knowledge of financial transactional systems or Enterprise Resource planning systems (Oracle e-Business Suite) a plus
- Experience with Hyperion Planning tools or Essbase a plus
- Experience using data warehouse or analytical tools; Teradata and MicroStrategy a plus
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must have the ability to analyze moderately complex applications and systems. Must be able to program moderately complex systems requiring minimal interfaces. Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Must have moderate decision-making skills. Must have written and oral communication skills to communicate and interact with all levels within the company.
% Travel Required (Approximate): less than 10%