The Services Insights team is chartered to enable positive business outcomes by driving right behaviors and decisions through bold insights.
The Data Scientist is a pivotal role working within the Services Insights team. This person will work with cross-functional teams across the Microsoft Services organization to effectively manage and deliver on Insights & Analytics, operations and transformation. In this critical Program, you will be responsible for executing on business objectives through analytical modeling that incorporate HQ functions, consulting domain leadership and area/field leadership thereby creating transparency around insights & analytics initiatives through a rhythm of the business (ROB). You will execute on the detailed implementation, and support of analytical models, tools and techniques including process changes that are part of this program.
We are looking for a talented and motivated analytics professional who can build predictive models and solve a wide variety of predictive analytics problems - all with the goal of providing actionable insights into business processes and customer experience.
You will contribute to continuing the team’s progress toward being a recognized hub for forward thinking in the field of advanced data analytics. The team consists of experts in statistical data analysis, machine learning, driver analysis, forecasting, big data technologies, fraud analytics, and clickstream analytics etc.
For the right individual, this job offers a gateway to an ocean of opportunities in the area of:
- Using data to optimize sales opportunities, identify support issues and understand customers
- Recommending sales offers through analysis of customer behavior to maximize conversion
- Predicting revenue and developing insights to prevent loss
- Ensuring customer satisfaction through timely deployment of resources and delivery of outcomes
- Improving throughput and efficiency of support centers for incident management
Evaluating business impact of key strategic decisions through data-driven before/after analysis
- Build and develop analytical models working along side a strong team of Leads, Analysts, Architects to deliver priority outcomes in alignment with the strategic roadmap for Services
- Engage broadly with the Decision Science teams to frame, structure and prioritize business problems where insights can have the biggest impact
- Act as an evangelist and catalyst for BI & Analytics innovation
- Manage the portfolio of work for BI & Analytics and partner with decision science team on monthly governance with stakeholders
- Partner on a robust, sustainable cloud first big data architecture, data lake, data mart and other assorted reporting/distribution services with the data engineering teams
- Partner with data science team to apply advanced analytics concepts towards rich and bold insights
- Attract, develop, retain talent and improving productivity, efficiency and effectiveness of the team and / or business. Create and manage standards, processes and procedures to ensure agile delivery and consistent operations.
- Statistics - Basic probability distributions, estimation techniques, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing (z-test, t-test, ANOVA etc.). Understanding of Maximum Likelihood Estimation is a plus
- Machine Learning - Regression, Classification, Clustering, Data preparation (outlier treatment, missing value imputations etc.), Feature engineering (polynomial, log and other functional transformations), Feature selection, Time series, Text Mining & Model interpretation through Decision Trees, Linear Models
- Programming - Hands-on in R/Python and experience in using different Statistics/ML libraries available (rpart, c5.0, randomforests, GLM, GBM, Scikit-learn etc.)
- Data engineering - Hands-on in SQL and experienced in working with RDBMS for data extraction and data read/write. Understanding of Data Warehouse fundamentals (architectural layers & schema types) is a plus. Familiarity with big data technologies (COSMOS, Hadoop, MapReduce)
- Data Visualization - Experience in one or more Data Visualization tools (MS Power BI, Tableau etc.)
- Masters in Statistics/Econometrics or PhD in Statistics/Economics/ Computer Science or related discipline is preferable, but a candidate with MS combined with strong analytical background in problems relating to Big Data and Analytics is also acceptable.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES/INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex issues/scenarios into easy-to-understand concepts.
- An attention to detail with self-discipline and a drive for results.
- Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous situations and across organizational boundaries.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.