About L3 Technologies
L3 Technologies is a leading provider of a broad range of communication, electronic and sensor systems used on military, homeland security and commercial platforms. L3 is also a prime contractor in aerospace systems, security and detection systems, and pilot training.
About L3 Aviation Products Division
L3 Aviation Products Division (APD) is a provider of general aviation, and commercial and military avionics. L3 Aviation Products Division manufactures a diverse line of safety-and efficiency-enhancing products for next generation requirements, including flight recorders, collision avoidance systems, navigation products, display systems and processors.
L3 Aviation Products Division also offers aftermarket services, including MRO and integrated performance-based logistics for military and commercial systems. Business unit sites are Alpharetta, GA; Grand Rapids, MI; Sarasota, FL; Columbus, OH; and Phoenix, AZ. This position may be based at any of these locations.
The Engineering Program Leader (EPL) manages the technical aspects of a specific program or effort and ensures technical, schedule and cost targets are met. The EPL is similar to the Program Manager (PM) in nature, just more functionally focused with the PM as his/her primary customer. The EPL is both a project manager and technical leader/expert. An EPL’s duties are broad in nature and may encompass multiple phases of a product’s lifecycle to include Pursuit, Development, Production or Post-Delivery Support. While possessing technical expertise and experience, the individual will coordinate and lead the technical activities in support of the larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) efforts versus accomplishing the technical tasks him/herself. The EPL plans, schedules and directs the engineering support of the program, and keeps the team on plan through proactive engagement, constant and robust communication/ collaboration and focused risk management. He/she is responsible for, and has authority over, all engineering resources associated with or in support of the program and must continually engage and collaborate with engineering functional leadership to ensure the necessary resources and support are available. The EPL musters, shepherds and leads the engineering team to success, providing quality, error free technical deliverables, to include subcontractor deliverables, to the PM and formal L3T customer on cost and schedule. The EPL maintains open and clear communication with the PM, engineering function and assigned team members, other IPT members, suppliers and customer(s). The EPL is aleader in a vitally important role, and is accountable to the PM as well as the Senior Leader Project Engineering.
Essential Functions (Responsibilities)
- Partner with the Program Manager (PM) and larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) to ensure the success of the Program…technical, schedule and cost targets properly defined and met
- In drawing his/her support from the engineering function, the EPL must constantly engage the other cross-functional leaders, defending the Program’s needs and priorities while working with the leadership to understand and accommodate the demands of competing Division needs
- Interface and work closely with the customer(s) on technical and contractual requirements, and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion; negotiate as required and obtain positive resolution
- Working in conjunction with PM and Proposal Lead, to decompose business case and customer contract requirements into Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements, develop the detailed Basis of Estimates (BOEs), construct viable Integrated Master Plan and Schedule (IMP/IMS), determine technical deliverables and associated program risks and opportunities
- Responsible for requirements definition, verification and distribution, technical baseline development, resource identification and allocation, design trade studies, preliminary design, detailed design, system testing, qualification testing, supporting the handoff to Production (production configuration) and ensuring the technical deliverables to support a successful Entry-Into-Service
- Lead the technical development of the program. Serve as the focal point for all engineering development, product definition, resource allocation, task assignment and completion, problem solving and decision making necessary to accomplish IPT charter.
- Direct the engineering team assigned to the program, manage their performance and, through a matrix structure, oversee their participation within the program
- Resource management for all engineering activities in support of program objectives
- Effectively communicate with the PM and serve as a leader on IPT through a collaborative, trust-based relationship, ensuring all have the latest information available
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments
- BS/BA Degree in an engineering discipline; advanced degree desired, with a preference given to candidates with an MBA or business experience
- Strong background in engineering, program management, production and/or quality, complex technical product development, knowledge of avionics, related electronics and components,
- Requisite years (varies by program size) in a similar technical leadership capacity, outstanding communication, negotiation, organizational and leadership skills
- Intimate knowledge of manpower planning, milestone scheduling, RTCA DO-178C/DO-254 development processes, requirements capture tools, traceability and processes, complex hardware/software integration, validation/verification, new product introduction, design for manufacturability; all requiring high attention to detail
- Capable of managing and working in an environment that is fast-paced, demanding, with a focus on problem resolution and Six Sigma-based process improvement
- Experience managing offshore development assets
- Experience in Commercial, Military and/or Aerospace products development and production
- Willingness to travel as position requires
- PMP Certification a plus
- Leadership – leads by example and fosters ethical behavior within the team. Is comfortable in a matrixed environment, and can successfully develop and communicate a vision to the technical community working a project, and subsequently organize the effort.
- Communication –drives a culture of transparency and integrity. Possesses strong communication skills (written, oral and listening) necessary to convey, influence and persuade individuals, functions and organizations. Must be comfortable with both technical and project communications, and must be able to summarize key points for executive leadership as well as dive into details with individual contributors.
- Influence/Persuasive – must be a leader of change who seeks opportunity, and is able to work effectively in a variety of situations and circumstances. Leadership objectives must be delivered without clear authority for direct reports in L-3 or subcontractor organizations. Must have the ability to influence and persuade leaders and individual contributors to take action in accordance with plans.
- Technical Acumen - successful EPLs must have a breadth and depth of experience across engineering functions within the context of development programs. Development EPLs should demonstrate/possess system level experience that encompasses HW, SW, SYS and Test is essential. Operations and In-Service Support EPLs should demonstrate/possess experience in manufacturing, production planning, procurement, supplier transition and post-delivery or in-service support operations.
- Project Management Acumen – Demonstrated experience in project management fundamentals is required in a technical environment. Keen understanding of how to decompose top level program requirements into engineering projects throughout the WBS is essential.
- Strategic Thinking – encourages diversity of thought and perspective; plans and anticipates the future implications of today’s actions on stated objectives (schedule, cost and scope)
- Integrative Thinking – the ability to balance multiple and often competing objectives and priorities into a comprehensive set of strategies and tactics
- Strong Bias for Action – is a self-started who proactively engages to address assigned tasks and tackles issues, risks and opportunities in a timely manner
- Relationship Development and Management – ability to form strategic relationships across businesses and functions to ensure results are achieved while building and preserving long term good will and productivity
More about L3 Aviation Products Division
Growth. Operational excellence. Talent and teamwork. The highest ethical standards.
These pillars define L3 Aviation Products and our legacy of advanced next-generation avionics solutions ( Aviation Communication & Surveillance Systems), Cockpit and Data Recorders, Standby Systems for general aviation, and Advanced Display Systems and Global Support Services for several markets (general and business aviation, commercial and military aircraft, and helicopters).
Our years of experience and comprehensive product significantly benefit our customers. We draw on these collective strengths and approach every need from multiple perspectives and with an array of solutions.
With every product and service, we provide, L3 Aviation Products customers can expect a single-minded commitment to the right solutions, delivering unsurpassed quality, value and reliability.
L3’s proudest accomplishment has been earning the industry’s trust, and we work without compromise to be worthy of the trust each day.