L3 Technologies - Advanced Laser Systems Technology (ALST) is a world leader in the development and production of advanced laser rangefinders, designators, targeting systems and components. Based in Orlando, FL, ALST supports all branches of the United States Military, allied nations, OEM customers, border security and development labs.
POSITION PURPOSEThe Sr. Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer is part of a multi-disciplinary design team developing advanced laser range finders and laser designators. This position contributes in the development of cutting-edge laser based electro optical systems for use in military airborne, maritime and ground vehicle applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designs state-of-the-art, high reliability, diode pumped laser transmitters for airborne, maritime and ground applications.
- Coordinates with Quality and Manufacturing to ensure a cost effective, producible design and support the transition from Development to full rate production.
- Applies opto-mechanical engineering principles to support formulation of new concepts and solutions for laser applications for use in harsh environmental conditions.
- Participates in system trade studies, system optimization, tolerance and performance analysis.
- Conducts laser transmitter analysis or modeling, verifies analysis or models against measured data.
- Support laser transmitter assembly, alignment, and test in both development and manufacturing environments.
- Identifies characterization tasks for manufacturing methods and error budget allocation.
- Conducts analysis and evaluation of a design concept to produce realistic assessment of development and manufacturing risks. Develops strategies for mitigating risks.
- Performs "hands-on" technical functions in laboratory and field environments involving laser alignment and testing, system testing, data collection and analysis.
- Serves as mechanical SME on optical engineering teams, to include technical oversight as well as engineering design and analysis.
- Works with other engineers, technicians, manufacturing and quality engineers in a team environment.
- Interfaces with customers and suppliers in technical areas relating to projects and legacy products.
- Travels to customer and supplier sites, and other L3 locations as needed.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures.
- All other assignments as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Opto-Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- 8+ years' experience in design, development of optical and electro-optical components and systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Detailed knowledge of Opto-Mechanical Engineering design, integration, documentation and configuration control for Defense/Military applications.
- Demonstrated ability to design complex optical/laser systems for airborne, shipborne, vehicle mounted and man-portable systems, where weight and size are key performance parameters.
- Experience working on multiple product development cycles from concept through production.
- CAD Proficiency in SolidWorks, Ray-Bending experience or Zemax knowledge would be a plus.
- Ability to perform classical and FEA thermal and structural analysis (ANSYS, SW Simulation etc.)
- Experience with the integration and test of preproduction prototypes and documentation of laser assemblies, alignment fixtures and test techniques.
- Self-starter, able to work on projects with multiple deadlines and tight time constraints.
- Proven success in a fast paced development and manufacturing environment and possess a willingness to take ownership, accept accountability, and thrive under pressure.
- Possess exceptional communication (both oral and written) and listening skills, with a strong orientation to details, and the ability to make quick, informed decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to make presentations to large audiences including customers, government personnel and senior management team members.
- Strong relationship building skills at all levels of an organization and the ability to work effectively across functions within a matrix environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Must be a United States Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR - 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20), 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid U.S. Passport.
- Able to travel nationally / internationally on an as needed basis.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.