Microsoft first opened our Charlotte Site in 1990 and employs approximately 1,000 people at our 22-acre campus in South Charlotte, just over the NC/SC boarder. Local job opportunities vary widely from internal IT, to technical support, consulting, technical sales, account management and product engineering roles. Many of our roles can be configured in a variety of flexible work arrangements including telework/ work from home, part-time, and job share, and Microsoft is consistently rated as a leading technology company and a great place to work.
We are currently staffing up new sprint teams with developers representing a broad range of skillsets and experience to expand our internal applications engineering teams in Charlotte. These teams create apps and services to support the needs of Microsoft's internal finance, legal, consulting, HR, training, and compensation teams – what we call "Corporate Functions Engineering" and "Core Services Engineering."
One specific example of an application we write is Microsoft Invoice, an application running in Azure and allowing Microsoft’s vendors and suppliers to submit electronic invoices directly to us. For anything Microsoft purchases anywhere in the world, from buying pencils to building datacenters, this service validates invoices and tracks internal approvals, tax classification, and payment while providing status back to our external partners.
As part of Microsoft Core Services Engineering, you’ll be working with the latest technology before it’s available to anyone else. Our teams are the first to create innovative technology experiences combining the latest Microsoft products and services with leading solutions from across the industry.
Not just early adopters. The earliest adopters.
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Our teams are seeking Senior Software Engineers, to join us as we create and deliver mission critical business services and processes for Microsoft. You will have the opportunity to design and develop creative, compelling, and cutting-edge systems that support our world-wide operations. You will develop software and services at scale, innovating on the latest technologies as the earliest adopters, while mentoring other team members.
- Design and develop large scale distributed software services and solutions
- Adhere to and drive modern software engineering practices through design reviews
- System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging data / telemetry to make decisions
- Develop “best-in-class” engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are: well-defined and modularized, secure, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable
- Improve test coverage for services, organizes and implements integration tests, and resolves problem areas
- Considers testability, portability/monitoring, reliability, and maintainability, and understands when his or her code is ready to be shared and delivered
- Exposes test coverage issues, organizes and implements integration tests, and resolves problem areas
- Gain a working understanding of Microsoft businesses and collaborate with mentors and leaders in order to contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users
- Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and do POCs to evaluate technology fits for customer needs
- Focus on customer/partner needs through a data driven approach
- Optimize automation, reliability and monitoring of LiveSite
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- 5+ years development and design working on high availability systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Math, Engineering or related field
Preferred, not required:
- Operating in an Agile team
- Experience with direct, remote and virtual teams
- Relevant experience in design
- Testing mindset, before beginning code development
- Translate problem solving techniques into code
- Understanding of data structure and data storage solutions
By applying to this position, you are being considered for multiple like positions. Position specifics, including hiring team, location and position details, will be determined during the interview process.
This job posting and others like it are umbrella postings, representing several jobs of this type and level.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.