“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
The Technology team develops and manages critical components and platforms for new products being launched to support the next generation of customers across market segments. Join us and you could be a core part of this future, running software engineering teams developing against platform vision.
The successful leader will be expected to help structure the team optimally, determine the roles and responsibilities and working model, achieve productivity improvements and enhance Agile working practices, and lead the application and product roadmaps. The Director will be expected to form a strong partnership within the team, and with the Product Owner, plus own performance management responsibilities for the assigned engineering team members.
American Express is embarking on an exciting digital transformation driven by an energetic team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our Technology and Product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across the globe through various channels, join our team!
- Drive innovation and manage product development teams within a fast paced, agile environment.
- Cultivate an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
- Identify and implement strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce.
- Manage and/or lead software development teams, obtaining necessary resources, acting as an escalation point and removing impediments to achieve goals and objectives.
- Engage in hands-on design and ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software engineers and architects to execute product roadmaps.
- Collaborate with a wide variety to stakeholders within business and technology teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps.
- Enable integrated teams to deliver technology solutions in support of key product initiatives by working closely with product managers, technical project managers, architects, engineers, and quality assurance.
- Collaborate within and across business units to prioritize, plan, and execute the development schedule for major product releases.
- Work with a Java stack to build business services in a business process management and orchestration environment, using American Express frameworks and cloud platform.
- 6+ years of experience managing agile software engineering teams designing and building software products in a fast paced, complex, and dynamic product development environment.
- Extensive hands-on experience building and managing the development of complex, large scale enterprise applications and products that require a deep understanding of application logic and dependencies.
- Experience managing large engineering teams using a servant leadership mindset.
- Proven experience attracting, hiring retaining and leading top engineering talent and high-performance product engineering teams (i.e. FTEs, not contractors).
- Experience with Scrum, Kanban, or another Agile application development methodology.
- Proven ability to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization, and in a variety of contexts.
- Knowledge CI/CD, system testing, test automation. Experience in infrastructure, application monitoring, platform stabilization and Investment performance a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field required.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Our differences are what shape the world, and we’re committed to ensuring everyone is seen, heard, and feels like they truly belong. That’s why... Read more