Round Rock, TX
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Principal System Engineer in the Server Storage Development team in Round Rock, TX.
Our customers’ system requirements are usually highly complex. Bringing together hardware and software systems design, Systems Development Engineering operates at the very cutting edge of technology to meet them. We design and develop electronic and electro-mechanical or systems-orientated products, conduct feasibility studies on engineering proposals and prepare installation, operation and maintenance specifications and instructions. We’re proud to deliver programs and products to the highest quality standards, on time and within budget.
This position is for a Server Storage Development Principal System Engineer for Storage Products within Dell EMC’s Infrastructure Solutions Group. The Server Storage Engineering Team is closely tied to most of the development organizations, including the platforms, OS teams, systems management, hard drives, and storage enclosures.
The position provides the opportunity for contributing to and setting the technical and design direction for a storage subsystem in Dell’s server storage team, and responsibility for its implementation into the larger server and storage product lines.
This includes feature definition, development process execution and improvement, integration testing, fault isolation and resolution, manufacturing release, and resolution of design issues found in the field and during development.
This is a senior technical development team leadership role that requires strong verbal and written communication; understanding and defining complex system/solution architectures; and demonstrating engineering expertise and rigor through debug of complex issues for enterprise solutions.
- Perform activities necessary to take a design from concept to production which may include: architecture definition, schematic reviews, design reviews, debug, test, issue resolution and factory support.
- The candidate will be responsible to lead an engineering team throughout the product lifecycle and set the technical standard for the team.
- Drive product issues to closure with true root cause and a strong sense of urgency and ownership
- Partner and work across organizations and sites to ensure success in the business
- Communicate cross-functionally, externally, and to all levels of upper management the status of all relevant management information
- Exert influence cross-functionally to meet goals and support the team
- Interaction with extended teams locally and at other Dell Development centers worldwide
- Manage suppliers to meet technical deliverables, cost targets and quality goals
- BS or MS Engineering degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering with 7+ years relevant experience.
- Design and product development experience with Enterprise Storage products. Strong working knowledge of key RAID concepts such as: striping, caching, parity, failure & recovery, redundancy, storage performance, and hardware acceleration.
- Ability to: identify potential product weakness; provide design guidance and recommendations for improvements to subsequent redesigns; participate in cross-functional development efforts.
- Solution level knowledge of firmware; device drivers; server and storage management strategies; and application of experience in an enterprise development team with ability to drive complex technical issues to root cause.
- Candidate should have strong embedded systems understanding and it’s desired to have skills in python, UEFI, and Windows, VMWare, and Linux OS debug skills. Candidate should have solid working knowledge of PCI-e, SAS, SATA, and SCSI protocols. Prior experience with high availability storage subsystems is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work under and deliver to date-driven schedules; write and analyze requirements, functional specifications, design specifications, test plans, and documentation.
- Candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The position is not a programming role, although solid concepts of high level programming languages (C/C++) is recommended.
- Experience with virtual environments (VMs)
- High attention to detail
- Must have good analytical and organizational skills
- Possess a positive attitude in stressful situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, agile environment with frequent software releases
- Ability to adapt to and work with numerous functional organizations
- Demonstrate commitment to quality
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you would thrive in a combined hardware and software design function, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.