When we brought on DuckDuckGo, the search engine that does not track people, I was pretty excited to work with a company on the forefront of data privacy. When I learned how they are a fully remote company with flexible work schedules, co-working office reimbursements (sometimes it’s hard to focus at home) and a real vacation policy (their CEO took 5 weeks last year), I was elated.
We are a diverse team from around the world, on a mission to make DuckDuckGo the company people trust most with their online privacy, and we want your help!
Join us as the Director of Insights to oversee, inspire, and motivate a diverse team of UX and market researchers as they help drive insights which power the strategy behind the DuckDuckGo search engine, mobile apps, browser extensions, and future products.
As part of our growing team, you will be responsible for coordinating user insights and research efforts across the entire company. As a team leader, you will guide the User Insights team through difficult research decisions, tactical tradeoffs, and instill strong research best-practices. As an experienced researcher, you will lead by example, help construct powerful experiments, review experiment designs, and roll your sleeves up to solve qualitative and quantitative research challenges of all sizes. As a functional team leader, you will foster a collaborative environment, create learning opportunities to train and develop existing members of the team, as well as hire new team members as the needs of the company grow.
We are a fully-remote company, meaning our employees can work wherever they want around the world. We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Coordinate the execution of user insights tasks across the entire company.
- Lead quantitative studies, such as structuring and analyzing surveys to evaluate impact of product changes and market trends.
- Lead qualitative studies, including diary studies and interviews, remote and in-person usability studies for existing and future products.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of researchers with diverse skill sets. Including creating learning opportunities to develop and grow members of the team.
- Instill strong research best-practices within the team while maintaining a sense of agility and pragmatism.
What we are looking for:
- Proven success in designing, running, and analyzing multiple quantitative and qualitative studies concurrently.
- Proven success leading a team of researchers and coordinating between other teams and project leaders toward a goal.
- Significant experience with A/B and multivariate testing, survey design, and qualitative user testing through interviews and diary studies.
- Expertise with R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statista, SQL, Tableau or similar tools to analyze and quantitatively demonstrate research findings.
- Strategic and analytical thinking: You are able to analyze and distill research findings, propose innovative business solutions, and embed them within our organization.
- Effective management in a fast-paced, lean culture. Ability to prioritize around complex business problems, not just for yourself, but when roadmapping projects or allocating resources across your team
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days)
- We want to have a major impact on raising the standard of trust online. To do this we believe in a focused approach, with company-wide objectives, and with each team member working on a single top priority at a time.
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- All projects are run transparently, and we encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
- We try to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
A successful candidate will be transitioned into the leadership role after the internal contract and an onboarding period.