Are you interested in working on an engineering team that has a passion for making our Azure better? Do you want to work on some of the largest open source data solutions on the planet? Do you love taking on new data technologies and being at the cutting edge of cloud computing? Do you want to drive key impact and value to Azure? Do you want a fun job that is deeply immersed in what customers do with Azure?
The Azure CAT team uses real-world customer-inspired projects to highlight gaps and trends in Azure. We’re creating a team with a dedicated focus on large scale open source databases like HBase, Accumulo, and Cassandra, along with the corresponding query and ingestion capabilities through solutions like Phoenix and NiFi. We are developing a high-quality reference implementation to break exabyte scale which we operate and monitor, designed to stress Azure’s scale, reliability, and quality. We are an agile team, endeavoring to use industry best-practices with CI/CD, frequent releases, and a modern devops toolchain.
We are looking for someone with empathy for our customers, strong technical skills, and a passion for delivering a quality experience to all Azure customers. The ideal candidates will be engineers that have experience shipping real world services today in Azure, AWS, or Google Cloud.Responsibilities
- Optimize open source data solutions like HBase, Accumulo, Cassandra and NiFI for cloud-native deployments
- Implement at scale reference solutions based on real world customer scenarios using open source data solutions like HBase, Accumulo, Cassandra, or NiFI
- Develop Azure deployments for highly available, recoverable, secured, and monitored clusters
- Develop integrations with other Azure services
- Contribute innovation and enhancements to open source projects to improve performance at scale, and introduce key new features required by the scenario
- Build telemetry & diagnostics solutions for monitoring scenarios and dependent services
- Work with dependent service teams to drive actionable feedback (experiences, bugs, reliability)
- Identify key adoption and implementation blockers
- Quickly adapt and ramp on new services, applications, and languages (both Microsoft-created and open source) required for customer scenarios
- 10+ years of strong, demonstrable development skills
- Execution skills (self-direction, drive for results, individual accountability)
- Ability to quickly ramp up on new service offerings and OSS components
- Active contributor to open source data projects and participation in the Apache ecosystem
- 2 years direct experience with one or more of the following: HBase, Accumulo, Cassandra, or NiFi
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements
- Candidates must have an active TS and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph) or have an active TS/SCI and be willing to upgrade to TS/SCI (with polygraph). This role will require candidates to maintain the TS/SCI (with polygraph) clearance.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Knowledge of at least one modern programming language (C#, Java, Go, Rust, Python, JS, Ruby, C++)
- Knowledge of popular programming frameworks (OSS and/or .NET)
- Linux system administration experience
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience developing, deploying, and managing distributed applications on popular cloud vendors’ platforms
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.