Art Processors is a global experiential design and technology company. We partner with cultural and tourism organisations to invent new realities of human experience. We offer specialist interactive media and exhibition design services that set a new standard for immersive storytelling, alongside a technology platform that makes it easy to deliver, benchmark and continually improve experiences.
Art Processors began in 2011 with a mission: to change the way a museum could look and feel. We sought to democratise the experience; to create new ways of storytelling, no wall labels or scholarly rhetoric. When we started out, the technology we needed didn’t exist, so we invented it.
Ten years on, we’re still inventing—dreaming up new ways of storytelling, adding new ways of doing things to our technology platform, and forging partnerships, from our ongoing work with Mona to our latest immersive audio experiences for the Art Gallery of NSW and The Getty.
We’ve also just been recognised as the 8th best place to work in the Technology category of the 2023 AFR BOSS Best Places to Work list!
A little about the role…
To help support the development of our product portfolio, we’re looking for an experience Mobile Engineer that specialises in native Android development (with Kotlin) to join our team. In this position, which can be performed remotely from anywhere in Australia, you’ll work as part of a cross-functional team with other developers, designers and project managers to contribute to the development of innovative visitor experiences. This role will suit an Android Engineer who is curious and enjoys solving complex problems that they may not have encountered before. You’ll also be expected to contribute to all aspects of the build from concept to final installation and take on technical leadership responsibilities within our team.
We make use of a broad but carefully curated set of technologies for our work. For Android, we use Kotlin, Jetpack libraries including Jetpack Compose for our UIs, ViewModels, coroutines, Hilt for injection, retrofit and OkHttp for networking stacks. Based on these technologies, we build a suite of internal libraries to support the various projects that we work on.
You could be the one if you...
- Have the ability to handle complex projects or development of products with multiple technologies and integrations with dynamic requirements
- Have experience developing a number of native Android applications with Kotlin achieving positive user experience
- Are comfortable and experienced providing technical leadership to peers and non-technical team members
- Are comfortable working on multiple projects or product streams from the original brief through development and deployment and beyond
- Are a curious, questioning person committed to continual learning who looks to make improvements
- Have a strong ability to communicate well in person and in writing
- Have experience with custom deployments and complex integrations
- Have experience building apps around APIs
- Have a good grasp of front-end technology and user interface implementations
- Have experience with audio, Bluetooth, location awareness and/or mapping technology (this is not mandatory but is nice to have)
What we offer
We promote a friendly, human work environment, providing you with the support, tools and resources to flourish in your role. You'll be able to draw on the support of a widely experienced team while pushing the boundaries of what's possible in your craft and delivering unique experiences to some of the most innovative institutions in the world.
In addition to the above, you’ll be able to:
- Work flexibly with access to a range of flexible work arrangements. If you’re Melbourne based, this includes the choice to work remotely or hybrid/full time in our Collingwood office. If you live outside of Melbourne, you’ll work remotely full-time with opportunities to work from Melbourne where possible!
- Receive financial support to set up your home office (if required)
- Receive a company laptop
- Receive fortnightly financial allowances if working remotely
- Access generous paid leave and parental leave policies
- Have access to a range of benefits which support your wellbeing
- Experience what you have worked so hard to deliver!
At Art Processors, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our clients. We're committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
How to Apply
If you’re an Android Engineer who is interested in contributing to the development of our innovative portfolio of products for organisations within the cultural sector, we’d love to hear from you. The best way to do this is to apply via the link provided and we’ll be in touch once we’ve reviewed your application.
Base Salary Range: $150 - 170K
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant