Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
To help our teams work together effectively, this role is fully remote, but requires you to be located in a US timezone.
Your future team
We're looking for a Principal Backend Software Engineer to join our team, passionately focused on delivering creative improvements for our engineering teams.
What you'll do
- Regularly unblock challenges faced in the software development cycle, from technical design to launch
- Create solutions that are used by other teams and products
- Determine plans-of-attack on large projects
- Routinely solve complex architecture challenges and apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects
- Lead code reviews and documentation and take on complex bug fixes, especially on high-risk problems
- Set the standard for meaningful code reviews
- Partner across engineering teams to take on company-wide projects
- Transfer your depth of knowledge from your current language to excel as a Software Engineer
- Mentor more junior members of the team
- 10+ years experience in multiple hands-on software/technology leadership roles, with end-to-end responsibility through the software development lifecycle
- Bachelor's degree with a preference for Computer Science degree
- Expertise with one or more prominent languages such as Java, Python, Kotlin, Go, or Scala is required.
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands-on experience with public cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Knowledge to evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space and time
- Practice in mentoring other engineers and influencing decision makers throughout the organization
- Consideration of customer impact when making technical decisions
- Experience in Developer Experience or Developer Productivity
- Proficiency in Java or NodeJS
- Experience in at least one additional language
- Experience in CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Deployment)
At Atlassian, we strive to design equitable and explainable compensation programs. To support this goal, the baseline of our range is higher than that of the typical market range, but in turn we expect to hire most candidates near this baseline. Base pay within the range is ultimately determined by a candidate's skills, expertise, or experience.
In the United States, we have three geographic pay zones. For this role, our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $205,800 - $274,400
Zone B: $185,200 - $246,900
Zone C: $170,800- $227,700
This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on PowerToFly. Let us know if this job is closed.
We're connecting diverse talent to big career moves. Meeting people who boost your career is hard - yet networking is key to growth and economic empowerment. We’re here to support you - within your current workplace or somewhere new. Upskill, join daily virtual events, apply to roles (it’s free!).
Are you hiring? Join our platform for diversifiying your team