Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We're hiring a Distinguished Engineer to join Team Enterprise, reporting into our Head of Engineering, Enterprise Platform. This team is solving some of the most important problems for Atlassian, moving and enabling Enterprise customers in the cloud and applying enterprise thinking across the entire family of Atlassian products to benefit all customer cohorts.
This position would work across ~1000+ engineers, solving the most complex and impactful problems within the entire team, providing technical direction, prioritization, design, architecture, and hands-on coding.
You will work on projects spanning: security (data leak protection, thread detection, data privacy, access security, BYOK, encryption), compliance (FedRAMP, HIIPA, SOC2, etc.), cell-based architecture, scale and performance, and tenant management.
In this role, you will:
- Define and articulate a compelling vision and roadmap for multiple pillars/projects across Team Enterprise
- Partner across engineering teams to take on company-wide projects
- Influence and inspire technical teams by setting an example of engineering excellence in design, architecture, code, and development practices
- Design and code systems that are testable, maintainable, reliable, secure, and scalable
- Mentor and coach engineers and engineering managers
- Be a trusted advisor to heads of engineering within Team Enterprise and across the company
- Uncover future needs and challenges while also digging into our current and most important engineering challenges
- Stay up to date with new technologies and assess their impact on Atlassian trajectory
- Strong technical leadership and expertise with 15+ years of experience in designing/building cloud-based enterprise-grade solutions using AWS, Asure, GCP.
- Experience in designing and building broadly used scalable platforms and platform components
- Ability to define our technical direction and educating the broader organization in your area of expertise
- Passion for software engineering excellence and providing technical guidance, coaching, and mentorship
- Experience recognizing, raising, and reconciling gaps and redundant efforts across organizations
- Ability to develop clear technical solutions, getting engineers to follow your lead and collaborating across multiple engineering teams and leaders
- Hands-on experience with coding and fluency in at least one of the following languages, Java, Kotlin, C, C++
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science
- In-depth knowledge of public cloud (we're on AWS, but we also believe skills with other cloud providers are transferrable)
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems, cloud data, storage technologies, cloud security and reliability, encryption or cryptography
- Experience leading teams of engineers through large complex projects involving radical changes to the technology stack
At Atlassian, we strive to design equitable and explainable compensation programs. To support this goal, the baseline of our range is higher than that of the typical market range, but in turn we expect to hire most candidates near this baseline. Base pay within the range is ultimately determined by a candidate's skills, expertise, or experience.
In the United States, we have three geographic pay zones. For this role, our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $279,600 - $372,800
Zone B: $251,600 - $335,500
Zone C: $232,100 - $309,400
This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on PowerToFly. Let us know if this job is closed.
We're connecting diverse talent to big career moves. Meeting people who boost your career is hard - yet networking is key to growth and economic empowerment. We’re here to support you - within your current workplace or somewhere new. Upskill, join daily virtual events, apply to roles (it’s free!).
Are you hiring? Join our platform for diversifiying your team