- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 years of experience creating content for technical audiences (e.g., developer documentation, Computer Science course material, or IT administration playbooks).
- Master's degree in Writing, Engineering, or a related scientific field.
- Familiarity with Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning concepts.
- Excellent HTML and CSS or Markdown skills.
Technical writers communicate complex information clearly, concisely and accurately, and without relying on jargon. As a technical writer, your role involves tasks such as writing conceptual overviews and procedures, reading and writing example code, or updating help center queries and FAQs. Technical writers play a big part at Google. They are a key link between engineers, marketing associates, developer advocates, as well as all the external users and developers, tying together many vital but disparate parts of the Google ecosystem.
You develop complex, in-depth communications for internal and external audiences and manage projects that involve coordinating multiple junior writers.
In this role, you will provide information for developers to learn and use Google's AI technology, including frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras and JAX for building models, APIs such as the Gemini API for interacting with Generative AI models, and using internal and publicly available ML/AI tools to improve engineer's work productivity as well as product behavior.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $121,000-$181,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
- Write technical documentation for our external and internal developer audience such as API reference manuals, developer guides, etc.
- Design and organize documentation sets for new APIs and developer products.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documents written by others, and coach non-writers on ways to improve their writing skills.
- Manage complex documentation projects.
- Write and test small code samples.