L3 Technologies (L3T) is a publicly traded, prime contractor in the Aerospace and Defense (A&D;) industries and a leading provider of a broad range of products and services used by military and commercial platforms.
L3T is composed of four business segments:
- Aerospace Systems delivers integrated solutions for the global ISR market and provides modernization, upgrade, sustainment, and maintenance and logistics support for a wide variety of aircraft and ground systems
- Communication Systems delivers products and services for the global communications market, specializing in strategic and tactical airborne, space, ground and sea-based communication systems
- Electronic Systems provides a broad range of components, products, subsystems, systems and related services for military and commercial customers
- Sensor Systems brings together diverse L3 divisions that offers a portfolio of innovative sensor technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space and cyber domains.
L3 Technologies, Inc. Communication Systems, Broadband Sector:
The Sector does exclusively Aerospace & Defense work for government, department of defense, and international customers with over $1.2 billion in annual revenue. The core business lines are in ISR communication systems, tactical and strategic SATCOM communications, network communication solutions, tactical communication pods and hand-held data links, cyber defense, digital networks and communications and sub-systems. The sector has both domestic and international customers. The Company is committed to maintaining the entrepreneurial spirit and agility that distinguish us from our competitors. Performance is paramount, both in what we deliver and how we deliver it. Innovation is central to developing cost-effective solutions that meet our customers’ evolving realities. Accountability and integrity define how we conduct business as we help the men and women who keep our world safe. This position will report directly to the Sector President.
RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY: The Vice President of Finance, Sector (VP of Finance) will provide strategic and organizational leadership to the financial activities of the organization. The VP of Finance will be responsible for the Company’s financial guidance, strategy, internal and external reporting, audits, forecasting and business management. As a key thought partner to the President, the VP Finance will provide financial expertise to help guide key business decisions while also advising the broader segment management team.
More specifically, this role will:
- Actively engage with management to reinforce, assist and lead strategic and tactical initiatives and will work closely with the Sector’s leadership on strategy.
- Provide input to the President on the risks and opportunities in the operation of the various departments for tactical and strategic planning.
- Analyze and interpret financial data, including annual reports, budgets, strategic planning, and forecasting.
- Works with the business unit leadership to meet financial commitments for orders, sales, profit, cash flow and all direct, indirect and capital costs.
- Act strongly and proactively to ensure that program cost commitments are achieved. Monitor program performance to insure financial reporting accuracy.
- Provide accurate and reliable financial analysis to facilitate decision making by engineering, operations and program management.
- Analyze and review business unit accomplishments against yearly and quarterly goals; make recommendations for future goals, and take action for improvements.
- Prepare and submit monthly financial statements to Corporate and maintain proper controls over the Company’s assets and reporting.
- Evaluate proposal cost and pricing data for accuracy, adequacy, reasonableness, consistency with tactical and strategic initiatives, and legal and contractual commitments.
- Proactively insure that program cost and schedule commitments are met. Monitor program performance to ensure financial reporting accuracy, maintain FAR/CAS compliance, and identify issues for disclosure and remediation.
- Participate in the strategic planning process; analyze and review cross-departmental accomplishments against yearly goals; make recommendations for future goals, and ensure alignment with Finance/Accounting activities.
- Identify and implement opportunities to create efficiencies, streamline processes and leverage resources in order to reduce costs.
- Provide inputs to the President on the risks and opportunities in the operation of the business.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are correctly recorded. Ensure that all financial reporting is accurate and timely prepared for Corporate, SEC, Federal, State and Local Tax authorities.
- Development and evaluation of proposal cost and pricing data for accuracy and reasonableness, consistent with tactical and strategic initiatives, and legal and contractual commitments.
- Provide leadership and compliance with internal and external auditors (i.e., DCAA/DCM, SOX).
- Build a competitively superior functional area of Finance by attracting, retaining and developing talent.
- Adhere to and enforce the Company’s Code of Ethics and Affirmative Action programs.
- Demonstrated work history as a strategic financial leader with a strong grasp of core financial concepts, including management and financial accounting, and cash management, and budgeting. Broad understanding of financial models and their impact on decisions in a publicly traded corporation.
- Possesses at least 15 years of experience in finance or accounting with previous senior-level management experience leading all areas of Finance and Accounting for a $1 billion aerospace & defense company.
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance and/or Accounting; MBA, CPA preferred.
- Has hands-on experience leading FP&A; and accounting. Previous experience creating or significantly improving financial planning and forecasting.
- Extensive financial audit and analysis experience and as a leader in a manufacturing and technical environment with experience working with both commercial and government segments. Has at least 3 years’ experience working with the DoD is highly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of project accounting for government programs, including EACs and Earned Value Management.
- Excellent oral and written communication/presentation skills.
- Experience in managing professionals and providing strategic leadership to a team focused on reporting and compliance (including SOX).
- Successful development and monitoring of strategic and tactical one-year plans.
- Experience in preparing and evaluating proposal cost and pricing data.
- ERP integration experience.
- Some business travel required
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a top secret clearance or higher.