Are you passionate about games? Do you want to help game developers push technology further than ever before? Do you want to help define the platforms that the game developers of the future can build on?
The Xbox Advanced Technology Group (ATG) is the bridge that links Microsoft game platforms and services, such as Xbox One, Windows 10, Xbox Live, and Azure with key game developers worldwide: from indie teams crafting unique artistic visions, to the biggest AAA franchises. We provide a number of developer-facing services that range from deep performance analysis and optimization through to code samples and white papers. We engage with both individual developers, through on-site visits, and with the world-wide development community, through presentations at conferences and through our support forums. And we work closely with partner teams within Microsoft to refine our platforms to better meet the needs of developers: now and in the future.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our Tokyo team and work closely with game developers in Japan and the Asia Pacific region. Working alongside Microsoft’s regional Azure specialists the candidate will help our development partners build robust, scalable, cloud-hosted services that integrate with Xbox Live and other Microsoft services.
The primary role of ATG is to help developers ship great games on Microsoft platforms:
- We educate: through samples, tutorials, forum posts and white papers.
- We assist: identifying and helping to resolve issues in both games and - through our close relationships with core Xbox, Windows, Xbox Live, and Azure teams - in our platforms and services.
- We optimize: applying our deep knowledge of platforms like Azure, and tools like Fiddler and Wireshark to make games as resilient, secure, and performant as they can be.
The ideal ATG engineer is both a strongly self-motivated technical expert and a passionate communicator: as comfortable in deep one-to-one technical discussions with the best minds in the games industry as they are presenting in front of an audience at a conference.
- Guide regional developers to deployment of robust, scalable services for their games
- Analyze client-service and service-service traffic to ensure that title network protocols are secure and meet platform requirements for service loading
- Work alongside the Tokyo-based engineering team to support title networking implementation and integration with Xbox Live and other Microsoft services
- Work closely with Microsoft’s 1st and 3rd Party Publishing groups to drive technical issues raised by game developers with appropriate teams across Microsoft
- Understand and align solutions to the business needs of the platform
- Author and deliver technical presentations at game developer conferences
- Strong technical background, including a B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of programming experience (C++ or C# preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with cloud-hosted services such as Microsoft Azure and diagnostic tools such as Fiddler, Postman or Wireshark
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of creative problem solving, working through ambiguity, and effective one-on-one and one-to-many communication
- Passion for game development and associated technology
- 5+ years professional work experience in the video games or related industry
- Understanding of protocols and strategies for network security and encryption
- Experience building cloud-hosted services using industry-standard frameworks (ASP.NET, node.js, etc.)
- Experience in a development role for games on one or more of Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows, or other console or mobile game platforms
- Previous experience as a public speaker
ATG is an international team, with members in Tokyo, London, UK and Redmond, USA. While the working language of the Tokyo office is Japanese, competence in English and regionally relevant languages such as Korean or Chinese would be highly beneficial. Non-Japanese native speakers should have sufficient fluency in Japanese to be able to work independently within the Tokyo office, and on-site with our Japanese development partners as required.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.