Principal Software Engineer - Pravega, Open Source
Seattle, WA, United States
Principal Software Engineer - Pravega
The world has changed fundamentally in the past decade with applications that process data and extract critical insights in near real-time. The software technologies that enabled such applications have sparked the creation of an unprecedented number of popular applications and continues to do so. Over time, however, the complexity of applications has increased so much that existing software stacks are not able to accommodate current requirements of volume, elasticity, consistency, and parallelism. Pravega is a project that was born to satisfy such demanding requirements. Pravega is storage for streams: it exposes stream as a core storage abstraction. Streams are unbounded and elastic while guaranteeing strong consistency guarantees. Pravega is a very young project (around one year), and we have already opened our repository to establish a community (http://pravega.io).
The project is seeking to hire senior engineers that have experience building and running distributed systems. A candidate must have a proven record of experience working with distributed systems while also being able to reason about the design, architecture, and properties of such systems. As Pravega is open source, experience working with open-source communities is highly desirable.
Specific requirements for the candidate:
- 8+ years of development experience
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent. A graduate school degree, MSc or PhD, is definitely a plus.
- Excellent coding and algorithm skills is required
- Java proficiency is required
- Knowledge of networking concepts is required
- Experience implementing TCP/IP applications is required
- Experience with messaging technologies concepts, e.g., RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Kafka, JMS, AMQP, is desirable
- English is the main vehicular language, so English proficiency, written and spoken, is a must
- Excellent analytical skills, specifically, being able to come up and reason about the design of distributed systems
- Knowledge of stream analytics is desirable
- Ability to work with open-source communities is desirable
Benefits We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.