The CFO is responsible for the GSMO Finance function within Germany which comprises of Financial Control team, Segment Finance team, and Control & Compliance group. A main deliverable for the CFO is to build organizational capability with strong succession plans made up of diverse talent, containing numerous potential future leaders of the company.
Reporting directly to the CFO EMEA, this role is part of the GSMO Finance Leadership team making key decisions around people, business processes and business Impact to enable the Vision of "Trusted Leaders, Front Line Impact".
This role is also the key business partner for the Country AVP and forms part of the German Senior Leadership team accountable for delivering the business results for Germany whilst operating within Microsoft company policies and local laws. You must create a clear financial strategy for the country that aligns to business goals and then drive results consistent with the goal.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to attract, hire, develop and retain the very best finance talent from the market as well as internally from within Microsoft. You must ensure that you appropriately prioritize your time and that of the finance team to drive tangible frontline business impact by building and implementing business strategies to accelerate profitable growth whilst also ensuring the finance team still delivers the core processes and rhythms across the region.
Key accountabilities and activities:
CFOs hire, develop and retain the best talent within Microsoft and in the local external marketplace and build highly effective, inclusive teams. We build a pipeline of qualified candidates for positions within Germany and work with colleagues at Corporate and around the world to provide appropriate developmental opportunities for our staff. Key accountabilities are as follows:
• Build an Organization stronger than today through attracting, developing and sharing the right people for the right roles.
• Drive Manager Hiring and Succession in such a way your Management Team is equally diverse to your total population. Proactively drive high quality and realistic succession plans, focusing on long-range potential and the mix of internal, external and diverse candidates.
• Build agile finance organizations that can meet a changing business need and can adapt to business pressure
• Create subsidiary organization structures that evolve over time to grow with our business
• Manage an efficient team and leverage the relationships between Area and subsidiary staff
• Balance corporate skill sets while allocating local autonomy for effective decision making
• Act as a talent scout in the local market to acquire the best long-term talent for Microsoft (leverage college grads, MBA, Interns, etc.)
• Drive Management Excellence providing a meaningful priority setting and performance review for each employee with proper recognition of people using the rewards available
• Provide appropriate coaching, development and performance feedback for Finance leaders working closely with Country General Managers to ensure the appropriate attention
• Drive solid development plans for each employee, leveraging and promoting the Finance Academy and Learning weeks as well as specific programs for high performers
• Develop a culture oriented around employee surveys with active participation and solid improvement plans to achieve a great place to work for the team and strong employee satisfaction results
2. Business Impact
CFOs actively contribute to grow their business profitably and maximize shareholder value for the company. Own the performance management process from strategic local priorities setting, to target setting, budgeting, forecasting, actual, variance and trend analysis.
• Deliver strong financial support on strategic ad-hoc studies (partnership, business case, investment scenarios)
• Drive profitability & productivity, using Benchmarking activities, deep dive into business drivers and KPIs, provide guidance, challenge plans, offer solutions, and ensure full buy in and conviction from local management
• Ensure an effective communication and understanding of the financial & business performance, and drive accordingly the decision-making process
• Ensure good allocation and management of local resources (ROI) to drive effective profitable growth and drive shareholder value
• Participate and influence business decisions by fully understanding the business strategy, business model, organization and market
• Contribute to business development and deal validation and lead the local activities for post-acquisition integration
3. Finance & Business process excellenceCFO is focused on ensuring that both the basic financial control mechanisms are in place in the team as well as driving efficiencies around the budget, executing financial processes and driving business productivity.
Focus areas include:
• Enforce and enhance the Controls & Compliance Framework and ensure statutory compliance
• Work to incorporate local standards of business conduct to be compatible with MS standards
• Define process to systematically review key cost drivers to ensure budgets are not exceeded as well as continue to search for cost saving opportunities
• Focus on P&L Agility efforts, Empowerment and Quarterly Accountability
• Lead Rhythm of Business and optimize Planning, Forecasting and Reporting processes
• Improve Revenue and P&L forecast accuracy
• Manage and oversee month end processes ensuring accounting excellence
• Ensuring a standard Payroll process consistent with HR and Corp requirements
• Drive utilization of Core Finance to minimize the use of local reporting
• Improve Business Productivity through best practice sharing and ROI analysis
• Drive the One Finance initiative and roll out within the Area and support activities around communication, support and escalations
• Ensure the management and compliance of statutory entity financials
• Ensure sufficient and effective risk management (insurance / business continuity plan)
• Ensure as host manager the SLA levels and overall performance of RE&F, One Finance, Procurement and other groups which perform (finance related) activities for the AREA
4. Leading Finance Transformation
To contribute fully to the success of the company, Finance must continue to use our limited resources optimally. This means regular self-review and transformation to take advantage of opportunities in our markets and in our industry.
• Provide support for implementation of shared services and outsourced solutions (e.g. One Finance)
• Execute headcount blueprints as appropriate
• Survey business partners to map out potential work opportunities
• Work actively to offshore (internally and externally) non-core functions
5. Customer relationship
As the CFO, the role requires a good understanding of the internal and external customer environment. The CFO invests time to participate in the external finance community as well as engaging with customers & partners and adding value to internal customers.
The key activities include:
• Showcase MSFT business processes and technology
• Promote values of local, regional and global Platform solutions built on MS Products
• Collaborate with Sales on discussions around rebates, software capitalization, etc.
• Represent MSFT externally in the CFO community and professional bodies
• Observe how other companies operate and benchmark best practices
• Develop SLAs with internal customers defining what to expect from finance
Essential Job Functions Responsibility/Activity
12-15+ years’ experience in Finance with strong demonstration of (people) leadership, business partnering capabilities and controls & compliance culture.
• Fluent in English and German
Education, qualifications, training:
o Degree in Economics or Business
o MBA preferable
o Chartered Accountant / CPA optional
Experience or skills required:
o Seasoned Finance professional- excellent functional finance skills (Accounting, controlling, tax, compliance (SOX), audit
o Significant experience in Finance Management at a senior level
o Strong communication skills (orally and writing skills as well as towards non-finance audience) and interpersonal skills.
o Experience with multi-cultural and country specific circumstances.
o Ability to influence, negotiate, resolve conflicts, establish credibility, trust and partnership at all levels of the organization.
o Leadership skills and decision making ability.
o Strong external representation skills (local Tax Authorities, independent auditors, lawyers, customers and partners).
o “Can do” and “thinking out of the box” attitude combined with hands on approach.
o Experienced people management and people development skills.
o Strong ethic, integrity and accountability attitude.
o Acquired an effective management style that allows management by influence in a virtual organization in balance with direct management.
o Proven track record of achieving results through influence with no direct line authority
o Proven track record of building a professional Finance team and supported successful careers of High Talents and High Potentials
o Past Demonstration on results achievement and drive change
o Subsidiary controller role experience
o Business acumen
o Thought leadership
o Strong analytical and conceptual abilities
o Well refined technical finance and strategic skills
o Team player
o Cross Cultural sensitivity
o Strong interpersonal awareness and emotional intelligence skills
o Influencing skills and good in ‘holding other people accountable’ (corporate and subsidiaries)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.