Data Scientist II - Marketing
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway, an Expedia Inc. company. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 2 million properties listed. We have millions of visitors to our site per year and serve more than one million page views per month. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we’re committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
We are looking for excellent Data Scientists to join our growing 20+ strong team. This position focuses on the measurement and optimization of advertising expenditure, so it is a good fit for those with backgrounds such as operations research, economics and marketing science, however we will consider qualified candidates from any technical background. This role will work closely with our marketing team to drive traffic to our massive e-commerce marketplace. The statistical learning algorithms you develop will impact tens of millions of dollars of advertising each year.
Challenges to work on:
- Measure the impact of TV advertising.
- Optimize advertising based on user feedback from online ads.
- Build machine learning-based segmentation models.
- Develop and run AB tests.
- Develop novel testing strategies.
- Stay at the state of the art in advertising measurement by attending at the top conferences.
- Work on larger programs/initiatives encompassing several projects that have a company-wide impact.
- Apply best-in-class machine learning techniques to solve the business problem at hand.
- Produce novel insights with machine learning to inform company strategy.
- Assist others with data discovery and data preparation phase.
- Help build the core feedback loops to optimize advertising expenditure.
- Work end-to-end on "studio projects" that you conceive, develop and land as a winner in the company.
- 2+ years of experience in Data Science and analytics fields.
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, or Scala Experience in processing and analyzing large scale data volumes, semi-structured and unstructured data and near real-time throughput.
- Experience applying the right ML model to solve business problems.
- Ability and passion to learn new techniques to stay on the cutting edge.
- Experience working in Hadoop ecosystem.
- Strong database knowledge and expertise in SQL.
- Experience using visualization tools such as Tableau and Datameer.
- Good storytelling and presentation skills i.e be able to present business side of the story that data presents to c-team and business leaders.
- Masters or Ph.D in Statistics, Math, Computer Science or other quantitative field.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.