Engineering Manager, Front End Team
We're a team of 100+ people living and working remotely in 15+ countries. We're working hard to build a diverse and collaborative team that can empathize with each other to solve hard problems and build a product we can be proud of. For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We get together 2-3 times per year for a company retreat, and benefits include great healthcare, dental and vision coverage, 401k retirement plan with company match, profit sharing and 14 weeks paid leave for new parents.
Hi there! We're looking for a Front End Engineering Manager to lead our growing Front End engineering team at Zapier. Interested in helping build the tool that powers automation for millions of professionals? Then read on…
Even though our job description may seem like we are looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the individual who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you're motivated by building effective engineering teams and are happy to roll up your sleeves and dive into code when needed.
You are a skilled engineer. You've got a strong background working in our stack (React, ES6, Node.js, etc.) – even if you aren't a daily coder, you regularly exercise your coding muscles and try to be an asset on any technical context your team may need.
You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first rodeo. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
You're adaptable. You've been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt, with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects. We're a small team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team faces – ideally making development even easier.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the Front End Engineering Team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier – moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges – sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
To be considered for this role, please complete the application on Jobs @ Zapier
We're not accepting applications from agencies or from the Power to Fly portal.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.