AVP – Business Strategy and Investments Underwriting (L11)
The Strategic Investments Underwriting team (part of Portfolio Insights and Strategy Credit team) is seeking an AVP with venture capital finance, problem solving, influencing, and credit analysis skills to analyze and facilitate in executing strategic market/financial technology investments and other strategic collaborations such as investments or M&A. Strategic investments are executed in partnership with Credit and other functions in SYF. The role is based in Stamford, CT.
- Lead in creating procedures, process maps, model monitoring, and regulatory projects for credit assessments of strategic investments
- Helping execute in credit assessment of venture capital investments and M&A transactions (due diligence; deal structure/terms interacting with internal/external subject matter experts and advisors; obtaining required input from LOB Sponsors on key issues; seeking approvals; closing the deal)
- Credit analysis on selected Strategic Investments portfolio companies (credit ratings and write-ups, relevant developments, assisting in selected strategic initiatives such as M&A, follow-on rounds, divestitures, making recommendations on corporate actions to LOB Sponsors)
- Reviewing and screening potential fintech strategic investments and M&A opportunities in partnership with and on behalf of LOB Sponsors.
- Responsible for co-developing and executing a new investment portfolio management process, monitoring investment health, status, documentation as well as bring visibility to credit risk to ELT, Board as needed.
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of business/finance related experience, or in lieu of a degree, 9 years of business/finance related experience
- 2+ years of venture capital financing and contract negotiation experience
- 3+ years of credit analysis and financial statement analysis experience
- Experience in venture capital financing and contract negotiation
- Forward thinking change agent who looks to grow the business responsibly
- Consumer Portfolio experience in risk management, credit analysis, strategy building or portfolio management
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent written / oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and the ability and desire to learn new skills quickly
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the selection process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- If currently a Synchrony Financial Employee, you must have been in your current position for at least 6 months (Level 4 – 7) or 24 months (level 8 or greater), have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have the approval of your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR to apply if you don’t meet the time-in-job or performance requirement
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.