The Engineering Manager, Database directly manages the developers that run GitLab.com’s database. They see this team as their primary product. They work on small features or bugs to keep their technical skills sharp and stay familiar with the code. But they emphasize managing a world-class team and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of database improvements and they are always looking to improve the productivity of their team and performance of their system. They must also coordinate across other infrastructure teams to accomplish collaborative goals.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
1. Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
2. Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
3. Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
4. Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
5. Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
6. Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
7. Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
8. As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
9. Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
10. Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
Manage an incredible team of four that live our values
Improve happiness and productivity
Work on small features and bugs (nothing critical path)
Manage the backlog and set priorities
Hold regular 1:1's with team members
Work across sub-departments within engineering
Improve the quality, security and performance of database work
2-5 years managing a database team
Extensive PostgreSQL knowledge
Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization
Experience running at consumer scale
Computer science education or equivalent experience
Passionate about open source and developer tools
Excellent communication skills
Online community participation
Remote work experience
Enterprise software company experience
Significant open source contributions
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified applicants receive a short questionnaire from our Recruiting team
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute first interview with the VP of Engineering
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with a Senior Developer
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a third 45 minute interview with our Database Engineers
- Finally, candidates may be invited to schedule a final 50 minute interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email