Principle Data Engineering Analyst
Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC) is the global leader in cyber security. Operating one of the world’s largest cyber intelligence networks, we see more threats, and protect more customers from the next generation of attacks. We help companies, governments and individuals secure their most important data wherever it lives.
About the Role:
We are looking for a hands-on, results-oriented, intellectually curious, self-learning Data Analyst to join our Product and Partner Analytics team. Our mission is to discover actionable insights (inference, prediction, relationships, etc.) regarding our customers and use that knowledge to create data products (predictive models, classifiers, clusters, recommenders, etc.) that will improve our products, customer experience, and business performance. Our main stakeholders are the Product, Partner, and Sales teams.
In this role, you will be a key player on a team of Data Analysts and Data Scientists. You will use your experience as a data engineer, Business Intelligence Analyst, or business analyst to build data sets and to work with data scientists to perform analyses that lead to useful data products. One key aspect of this role is to hone your data science skills with real projects while working with experienced data scientists.
You possess excellent communication skills and are able to engage with senior leaders to design well-constructed analyses and work cross-functionally with product managers and engineers to integrate your results into our operations.
You will not find big egos here. You will find a strong team of analysts that thrives equally on learning and teaching -- we value learning from the most junior to the most senior members of our team. We are passionate about our work, and our appetite for improving existing skills while acquiring new ones is insatiable. We practice and demand transparency – we work hard to spread, not hoard, our knowledge within our team and across the organization. We refer to ourselves as Data Scientists because, ultimately, our job is to acquire knowledge about the business so we can apply scientific techniques to drive profitable growth. If you share our values, we would love to hear from you.
- Learn and stay current with the latest techniques in statistical and machine learning and apply them to our analytical challenges.
- Learn our data model and the underlying physics that it represents.
- Identify and analyze customer behaviors for use in tactical and strategic decision-making and integration into our processes, operations, and products.
- Aggregate, filter and “clean” data from various systems to assemble a representative sample and prepare data for statistical analysis
- Develop predictive models, classifiers, and other data products that will be used for personalization in a variety of contexts.
- Work with Engineering and Product teams to ensure the appropriate metrics and dimensions are incorporated into our data sets and to integrate our data products into our infrastructure to enable various types of personalization.
- BS degree in a quantitative discipline (Economics, Finance, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or MBA with emphasis in analytics).
- 8+ years' work experience in a data analyst, data scientist, BI Analyst, or business analyst role.
- Experience with building complex multi-source data sets, interpreting data and extracting actionable insights for the business
- Strong knowledge of databases (SQL, etc.), reporting packages and programming languages (Python, XML, Java)
- Experience at analyzing large multi-dimensional data sets using statistical techniques and open-source, parallel-processing frameworks, such as Apache Spark.
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised Machine Learning methods: regression and classification techniques (Random Forest, SVM, Gradient Boosting algorithms, Apriori, K-Means clustering), stochastic methods, Natural Language Processing, etc.
- Expertise with web analytics methods and frameworks – Omniture/Google Analytics
- Translating data into an informed story via visualization tools such as Qlikview or Tableau
- Excellent communication skills with strong ability to synthesize key insights into actionable solutions
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.