Data Insights Analyst
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with over 2 million properties listed. We have millions of travelers visiting our site per year and serve more than one billion page views per month. As for the Analytics group, we enable our product teams with relevant strategic and operational recommendations to make better decisions. Our culture is one that strives to tackle hard problems through product engineering, backed by rigorous hypothesis-based testing, empowering people to come up with ideas and solutions based on data quickly.
Do you love analysis? Really love analysis? How about vacations, do you love vacations too?Want a job where you can swipe right for both analysis and vacations? If so, then HomeAway has a Product Analyst role for you! The Product Analyst is someone who is passionate about learning our business using data, technology and analytics to provide valuable data insights to drive the company’s critical business decisions.
- Partner with Traveler product managers and internal teams to address complex business questions and provide insightful analysis and strategic recommendations to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Be a HomeAway data guru - be the point of contact for all data questions and insights
- Turn data-based observations and insights into hypotheses through analytical rigor, leading to A/B tests that will confirm or deny those hypotheses and ultimately improve the performance of our sites
- Monitor engagement and conversion trends across the HomeAway worldwide network, identify breaks in trends, understand underlying drivers, and surface opportunities and threats
- Develop self-service reporting for product and development teams, by collecting and integrating data from various sources, including web analytics tools and internal databases
- Participate in Product Line Team weekly meeting to ensure insight-based decision-making
- Be dedicated in solving business questions that data could potentially answer by producing top down data driven solutions to address them
- Strong product development mindset and focus on actionable analytics: e.g.
- Ability to surface signals in our data and work with Product/Engineering to transform these into concrete tests
- Proven experience of using relational databases and big data via writing performant queries in SQL against multi-terabyte and billion row datasets in EDW, AWS and Hadoop environments
- Understanding of Clickstream data and ability to extract and analyze event data
- Innovative, global thinker & great teammate
- Strong SQL skills are required (MSSL, BQ, Hive)
- Strong skills in Tableau, R, Python required for data analysis, structuring, transforming and visualizing
- Statistical knowledge and modeling is an added bonus
Background and Experience:
- Bachelor's in an analytical field (e.g. Marketing Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics) and 5+ years of experience OR Master’s in an analytical field and 3+ years of experience
- Ability to work independently with high-level direction, willingness to engage with partners across many disciplines
- Proficient at analyzing and interpreting data and being open to mentor other analysts from other internal teams
- Consistent ability to produce quality, accurate and highly detailed work products
- Experience in a relevant area – travel, ecommerce, or real estate is a strong plus.
- Inquisitive and curious minds only need to apply
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.