GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
1. Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
2. Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
3. Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
4. Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
5. Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
6. Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
7. Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
8. As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
9. Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
10. Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
Hires a world class team of engineers to work on their team
Helps engineers grow their skills and experience
Create a sense of psychological safety on your team
Recommend monitoring technical and process improvements
Draft quarterly OKRs
Prioritizes and leads the effort to scope GitLab's Prometheus monitoring and alerting infrastructure
Manage the bundling of Prometheus as an out-of-the-box monitoring solution for GitLab CE/EE packages
Improve coverage of GitLab performance monitoring
Prioritize features that enable measurement of applications deployed with GitLab
Create automated alerts to notify team members of regressions
Ensures that there is a written onboarding and process that is effective and followed
Performs 1:1's with all reports every 2-5 weeks (depending on the experience of the report)
Is available for 1:1's on demand of the report
Uses the contributor analytics to ensure that anyone who is stuck is helped
Reviews and manages a significant amount of the merge requests made by developers
Document answers and improve existing documentation
Write blog posts relevant to the community
Experience managing a team of developers
Experience writing and reviewing code for production-level applications in Go and/or Ruby on Rails
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Experience with managing large amounts of telemetry
Experience working with time-series databases
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Backend
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with the Monitoring Lead
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with a Senior Developer
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our VP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with our CEO
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.