VP of Engineering
We're a team of 100+ people living and working remotely in 15+ countries. We're working hard to build a diverse and collaborative team that can empathize with each other to solve hard problems and build a product we can be proud of. For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We get together 2-3 times per year for a company retreat, and benefits include great healthcare, dental and vision coverage, 401k retirement plan with company match, profit sharing and 14 weeks paid leave for new parents.
Hi there! We're looking for a senior engineering leader to help grow our engineering team and play a critical role in shaping the culture of a 100% remote team. Interested in heading a remote team on a mission to help everyone be more productive at work? Then read on…
You are a skilled and empathic manager. You've managed and interacted with many types of engineers and managers alike. The current engineer team at Zapier includes 40+ engineers and managers of many functions like frontend, backend, QA, support and more.
You are comfortable wearing a product hat. You've owned delivery of significant products, helping engineering functions organize and prioritize work and ensure the process is helping them be productive.
You are a skilled recruiter and team builder. You know great engineering teams can have an outsized impact at building product customers love, so you focus ample time on hiring.
You've scaled engineering teams before. You've been involved in growing engineering teams and would be well suited to help grow Zapier from ~50 to ~100 engineers and beyond. You may not have led the team, but you have provided valuable leadership to help shape the engineering culture in those critical growth stages.
You are a skilled mentor and coach. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You're able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth.
You are a skilled engineer. We don't expect you to write code on a regular basis, but you've done it for years and have lots of stories and advice to share based on prior experience. If you have experience in our stack (JS + Python) that is helpful!
You are product, business, and customer focused. You are able to relate to our customers and partners to provide and translate business vision into technical vision in a simple and clear manner.
You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the engineering and full Zapier team.
You're a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Join a well functioning engineering team -- no need to "right the ship" here!
- Have a handful of engineering manager direct reports right out the gate. You would report directly to a co-founder/CTO.
- Ensure the engineering team is delivering on the roadmap by coordinating between product (PMs, product leadership) and engineering. Keep abreast of progress and making changes or tweaks as necessary.
- Track upcoming hires, open roles, and manage staffing considerations. This may involve jumping into the hiring process when the team needs a bit of backup or may involve helping align teams by defining areas of focus.
- Keep the bar high in hiring -- helping the team resist the constant pressure to settle after an already long, hard, and exhausting hiring process.
- Create and maintain a culture of building a diverse and inclusive team, including specialized outreach, recruitment practices, and community engagement.
- Actively lead the build out of the engineering management team -- recruiting, screening, interviewing, and onboarding great engineering managers, or growing them from within.
- Introduce new functions or specialties within the engineering team -- for example, roles like: QA, security, network, support, release, etc.
- Introduce new layers of management and functions in a JIT fashion, resisting the creation of hierarchy for hierarchy's sake and clearly communicating to the team the problems it solves.
- Ensure various budgets (like tooling, education, etc) within the engineering team are used effectively.
- Actively engage and participate in the process of engineering through RFCs, code and architecture reviews, bug fixes, and tooling or deployment improvements.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, every week help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
About Zapier Engineering
Every second Zapier makes thousands of API requests to thousands of partners. Each API call comprises a "step" in a user configurable workflow we liken to "LEGOs for APIs". Behind the scenes we use and contribute to lots of open source software, employ some pretty complex data modeling to figure out when APIs are having problems, and lots more!
We have a handful of teams specializing on frontend, backend, platform, data, and infrastructure -- though we try not to draw lines too strongly. We employ a "home team, away game" sort of model -- engineers have a "home team" with an engineering manager aligned to their skillset like frontend, but play "away games" by working with a PM for medium and long term projects.
To be considered for this role, please complete the application on Zapier Jobs
We're not accepting applications from agencies or from the Power to Fly portal.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.