About Economic & Financial Consulting (EFC)
FTI Consulting’s Economic & Financial Consulting practice works on a wide variety of assignments that address challenging business issues, solving problems and providing advice by drawing on the disciplines of economics, finance, valuation and accountancy. Issues frequently addressed include the measurement, assessment and forecasting of economic performance; the financial analysis and valuation of direct and indirect interests in businesses; intellectual property rights and complex financial instruments; the pricing of goods, services and financial instruments in markets, and the effect of incentives on behaviour.
Within the Economic and Financial Consulting practice, our Regulated Industries team is a leading adviser to regulated businesses, economic regulators, law firms and investors in the UK, Europe and internationally. We have been involved in a wide range of engagements drawing on our economics, finance, econometrics and accounting expertise. We provide critical insight and expert reports in the context of periodic price reviews, strategic decision-making, public policy debates, M&A; transactions and competition cases. Some of the types of issues our Regulated Industries team provide advice on include:
- design of price controls and regulatory frameworks;
- regulatory and commercial strategy;
- design of incentive mechanisms;
- access pricing, charging arrangements and tariff design;
- cost of capital and financeability;
- regulatory accounting and reporting;
- efficiency analysis;
- economic impact assessments;
- financial modelling;
- regulatory due diligence;
- regulatory disputes;
- competition assessments and compliance; and
- Competition and Markets Authority appeals.
The sectors we work in include energy, health, post, telecoms, payments, transport and water.
About the Role:
Consultants/Senior Consultants are responsible for the delivery of individual workstreams within projects, working alone or with others. They are centrally involved in analysis and the preparation of formal written reports. They are expected to be able to take responsibility for research and other gathering of information; managing and carrying out quantitative, industry and market analysis; and report their findings in a clear, concise and structured way.
Senior Consultants are directing, supervising and reviewing the work of less experienced Consultants. They are encouraged to develop a network of professional relationships.
Suitable candidates will be problem-solvers who enjoy developing and applying bespoke approaches to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical manner. Candidates will have strong analytical skills and be able to explain their work and communicate their conclusions and findings clearly, both orally and in writing. The ideal candidate will have both an eye for the big picture, and for detail.
Education and Qualifications:
A first (2.1 or better) or higher degree in economics, finance or another relevant discipline from a university with a reputation for excellence in the subject in question
Skills and Competencies:
- A solid understanding of the principles of regulatory economics and/or regulatory finance; solid practical experience specialising in economic regulation within one or more of the energy, health, post, telecoms, payments, transport or water sectors;
- To be accomplished at obtaining, manipulating and analysing information;
- To be effective in communicating orally and in writing, including experience in writing formal reports;
- Good project management skills and for Senior Consultants, experience in managing people and individual work streams;
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint (knowledge of other relevant analytical software is also desirable); and
- To be able to efficiently organise and conduct research, so as to supervise other people. Senior Consultants will be familiar with sources and tools such as: Companies House; Bloomberg; the Markets/Capital IQ; Thomson Reuters.
Sufficient relevant professional experience at an economic regulator, regulated business or at another consultancy to demonstrate the ability to be an effective EFC Consultant/Senior Consultant in the Regulated Industries team and alignment with our firm’s values of integrity, creativity, achievement, respect and empathy.