Senior UI Software Engineer
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia Group. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
The Partner Experience Engagement team builds an immersive experience that captivates and engages every Partner, helping them build a better business and use HomeAway technologies to get more bookings. We design and develop a platform that interacts with almost every part or multiple teams in HomeAway. From a software engineering perspective, this spans front-end web development, service endpoints, datastores, search indexes, stream processing, and big data jobs. The team also iterates on the engagement experience by leveraging A/B testing to continue a building a world-class experience.
As a member of the team, you'll be at the forefront of the Partner Experience building a product that is seen and used by everyone that lists a property with HomeAway.
Challenges you can work on:
- Scale our services & web apps to more than 60k requests per second.
- Develop fast, scalable, highly available, and reliable dashboards that serve a plethora of content pulling from multiple data sources.
- Use real time data to understand customers’ needs before they do.
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment, CICD.
- Develop features that will drive our business through real time feedback loops.
- Develop a smart service layer that will allow for in session personalization based off user behavior and data.
- Simplify the Partner user experience while empowering with content they want to see and action on.
- Build native apps using the React Native platform.
Technologies we use:
Node.js, React, React Native, Redux, Less, hapi.js, Java8, Scala, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, AuroraDB, Spark, S3, AWS, Docker, Dropwizard, Kafka, Quoble, Databricks, Datadog, NewRelic, Splunk
- 8+ years of professional frontend software development experience.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross functionally across multiple departments.
- You are an analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience.
- Responsive design, cross browser development and compatibility experience.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of Node.js experience
- Provide hands on technical leadership and participate in architectural decision-making.
- You will own new features from design to production release.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment (our stack satisfies 10s of thousands of requests per second!).
- Work with QA, product management,and operations in an Agile environment.
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions.
- Grow a performance production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable.
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.