Senior / Principal Software Engineer - Platform
We believe that everyone benefits from their biological information. It is our mission to empower every person to improve their life through DNA. With our high-quality, trusted partners and state-of-the-art lab, we have created the first platform of personalized products and services powered by genetics. From inherited cancer screening to custom fitness and nutrition plans, the world of DNA learning is becoming more accessible and more valuable than ever.
So far we have raised over $300 million from investors like Illumina (the world’s leader in genetic sequencing equipment), Warburg Pincus, Sutter Hill Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Draper Fisher Jurvetson Growth. Our app store and marketplace include partners such as National Geographic, Admera Health, Vinome and many others, with whom we have partnered to develop applications which interpret your genome.
Our big vision comes with big responsibility. That’s why we’re building a team of experts in the field of genetics, engineering, design, business development, and beyond to help bring actionable insights to our customers. We’re looking for the best and brightest minds who are passionate about our mission and are excited to work with a truly diverse team.
Our platform will serve millions of users at an unprecedented data scale—data that is the most personal kind of data you can have: DNA. We are building an app store that will be a one-of-a-kind genomics storefront, rich with partner products ranging from carrier screening to recreation to health and wellness. We are building a developer ecosystem that will unlock the creativity of the community to discover new insights that we can’t even dream of today.
What’s important to us:
- Curiosity - we are all passionate about the possibilities enabled by having access to your own genome
- Responsibility - we have an obligation to people and our partners to operate with highly credible research guided by well respected advisors, with clear and effective communication about our products
- Agility - flexibility and a desire to be nimble, smart, and effective are important to the Helix culture
- Experience - we’re building a team with amazing track records of achievement in multidisciplinary environments
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Design and code a secure cloud-based platform.
- Architect a robust distributed systems design that is highly secure and performant.
- Build consumer-scale web services to deliver next-generation sequencing data.
- Establish strong engineering best practices.
- Own deliverables from ideation to production operationalization.
- 7+ years development experience in Java, C#, C++, Python, or Rails
- Interest or experience in Golang
- Experience building service oriented architectures
- Experience architecting large, high-scale back end systems
- Thought leadership and a successful track record mentoring other engineers
- Proficiency with distributed systems built on cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Command of data modeling, data stores (relational, NoSQL), query optimization
- Experience building platform APIs and SDKs
- Affinity for an engineering culture that emphasizes Agile, DevOps, and continuous delivery
- BS+ in Computer Science required; coursework in genetics/bioinformatics a plus
- Great problem-solving skills and experience with some or all of these areas: software platforms, consumer applications, genomics
What Helix has to offer you
Aside from working alongside brilliant, dedicated, passionate, down-to-earth, curious, warm, and thoughtful people, we also provide great benefits:
- Competitive compensation, including meaningful equity
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision
- 12 weeks of Maternity or Paternity leave
- 4 weeks of paid Pregnancy Disability
- 401(k) with employer matching
- On-premise nursing room
- Corporate fitness rate
- Commuter benefits
- Catered meals
- Flexible PTO
Helix is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.