Staff Java / Big Data Engineer
Have you ever had the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of people in a meaningful way and help them enjoy time away with their friends and families building memories? That is what we do here at HomeAway.com. We are the leading vacation rental website in the world with more than 1 million online bookable vacation rentals. Our mission is to make every vacation rental in the world available to every traveler in the world through our online marketplace and we're committed to helping families and friends find the perfect vacation rental to create unforgettable travel experiences together.
As for engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas.
Challenges you can work on:
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment
- Develop tools that allow teams to spin up their micro services’ persistence layers on demand in the cloud
- Scale our persistence layers across continents, while providing the necessary reliability and monitoring metrics.
- Implement single sign-on(Okta), logging (Splunk/Datadog), unit tests and integration tests for the above applications, consistent with existing HomeAway standards.
Technologies we use:
Java8, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, MongoDB, SQLServer, AWS, Mesos,Docker, Linux, Jetty, Samza, Dropwizard, Kafka
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+years of professional Java development experience
- Experience writing k stream connections for Kafka
- Excellent communication skills with ability to work well cross-functionally across multiple department
- An analytical problem solver that is passionate about delivering a high quality user experience
- Own new features from design to production release
- Ensure the persistence layers that we support/tool for, are easily adoptable by development teams; and provide the data security, scalability and reliability that is expected of production data.
- Dedicated to delivering tested and optimized high performance code for a distributed SOA environment.
- Create and maintain quality software using best-in-class tools: Git, Splunk, NewRelic, Sonar and TeamCity
- Work with QA, product management, and operations in an Agile environment
- Participate in resolution of production issues and lead efforts toward solutions
- Grow a performance production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly reliable
- Participate in our inner source culture (Internal Open Source) by delivering high quality code that levels up not only your team but the entire organization
- Opportunities to showcase your work on our tech blog and internal &external conferences
- Conduct peer code reviews and act as a resource for junior developers
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electric, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress code