Vice President of Design
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
About our Design Philosophy:
We believe in the power of design to create a more meaningful experience for both sides of our vacation rental marketplace. Our multidisciplinary design team works in-house not because it makes production easier, but because human-centered design is essential to our product, brand and creative strategies. We draw strength from a diversity of perspectives, disciplines and technical skills. We use empirical data, behavioral research, and seasoned intuition to translate our customers’ needs into expertly crafted, highly usable experiences. We test our design vision against the reality of how customers use our products, and we commit to getting better together.
Who You Are:
As the Vice President of Design, you own and drive the overall cohesive vision for product, design and brand alike. This includes visual and interactive design, design language system, brand creative development, video production, and content. You are a growth mindset individual that promotes a culture where ideas flow and feedback informs. You inspire excellence in craft and are a catalyst for strategic thinking. As an advocate for our team, you ensure that the value and function of user-centered design are appreciated and embraced throughout the entire organization. Your team raises the design aptitude of the company worldwide.
- Clearly set and articulate a vision for the design team that informs the strategic direction of our digital products
- Inform and shape overarching design strategy and quality bar through a deep understanding of our audiences
- Communicate and evangelize the strategies and tactics to move towards being a design-led organization
- Translate vision into action through exceptional communication and people management skills
- Cultivate strong partnerships across Technology, Product, Global Brand and Customer Support.
- Build relationships with the marketing creative team and own the intersection of design functions.
- Play a central role in recruiting, mentoring, developing and retaining design talent
- Oversee design team of 50+ team members based mostly in Austin but with teams in London, Madrid, India, Singapore and Sydney; manage 4-6leadership-level reports.
- Strengthen influence and respect as the face of Design within the organization and collaborate with stakeholders to align vision with org strategy
- Evangelize our team’s impact within the design, technology and travecommunities
- 15+ years overall experience in digital design; at least 7 years of experience developing and leading teams
- Demonstrated expertise in the fundamentals and methods of digital design and user experience
- Portfolio of world class work you have driven as a creative leader is a must.
- Given the unique opportunity to manage the video production and brand creative design teams, familiarity with these disciplines through either direct involve mentor agency management experience is highly desired.
- Proven ability to bring products to market and improve through both iteration and innovation.
- Experience with 360 campaigns, TV commercials and creative that raises brand affinity through consistent, cohesive level of craft.
- Established track record of mentoring and managing teams through a rapidly changing consumer landscape.
- Evidence that you pursue a collaborative approach to problem-solving and organizational alignment.
- Demonstrated fluency in using design principles to drive decision making and cohesive user experiences
- Digital consumer experience design is a must. eCommerce or Marketplace experience design is a plus.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit)
- Parental Leave (up to 20 weeks based on eligibility)
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages, including breakfast on Fridays
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.