L3 Power Distribution is searching for a Sr. Digital Hardware Engineer I to join our team. The Power Distribution Division, with anticipated sales in 2017 of $283M, is a newly formed organization made up of four formerly separate operating divisions within L3. This opportunity is located at our Anaheim Ball Road site (Power Paragon). Our Power Paragon facility is a worldwide leader in the engineering, development, manufacturing and integration of power conversion and distribution systems for defense, governmental and advanced industrial applications. Our company’s power conversion, power conditioning and power protection solutions can be found in a wide range of demanding military and commercial environments around the world.
In the Senior Digital Hardware Engineer I role, you will perform a wide range of complex engineering work involving the planning, design and development, testing, verification, and system operation of small signal digital/analog electronic hardware and logic circuits, equipment or systems under low to medium level supervision. This position will perform the engineering work using a phased development process.
- Work with supervisor, project, and engineering leads to complete and support engineering tasks with high quality that include:
* Mixed signal circuit and board design, schematic capture, and BOM development.
* FPGA logic design and simulation using VHDL.
* Technical documentation development and delivery
- Execute work mentioned above to meet or exceed the established engineering and company process and procedures as well as best design guidelines.
- Execute work mentioned above with low levels of supervision.
- Provide clear and concise communication of design and development approach or plans to engineering peers, leads, and management.
- Provide medium level guidance, direction, and leadership to engineering peers and associates.
- Provide low to medium level mentorship to less experienced engineering colleagues.
- Plan and perform digital engineering research or design development assignments, including responsibility for the digital engineering of part of a major project or a project of medium to high complexity.
- Concisely translate product specifications into usable digital engineering data/requirements applicable to the particular assignment.
- Complete high quality work while keeping budget and schedule constraints on track.
- Coordinate the activities of associate engineers or technicians assigned to specific digital engineering projects.
- Perform engineering analysis of medium to high complexity digital circuits and medium to high density mixed signal circuits.
- Provide medium level analysis and technical review support during gate reviews and both internal and customer design reviews.
- Perform assignments requiring appreciable creativity, originality and ingenuity.
- Provide medium to high levels of technical and estimation support to proposals as directed by Supervisor.
- Lead small teams of engineers to execute work to a high quality standard with focus on requirements compliance.
- Develop presentation packages and present technical design details and relevant project data for upper management and customers during internal and external meetings/reviews.
- Timely execute work per directions from project engineer or department manager.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in electrical engineering or equivalent from four-year college or university and seven to ten years related experience and/or training. A Master’s degree (M.S.) in electrical engineering is preferred.
- Seven to ten years plus experience in the design of mixed signal hardware circuits including FPGAs and CPLDs, ADCs and DACs, microprocessor and DSP processor circuits, linear and switching voltage regulators, clock circuits, active and passive filters, communication interfaces and protocols (Ethernet, SPI, LVDS, LVPECL, I2C, Manchester, NRZ, etc), and high speed memory circuits (DDR).
- Seven to ten years plus experience with the design, simulation, and test of FPGAbased digital logic designs using industry standard design suites (Xilinx ISE preferred) and VHDL .
- Proven and demonstrated experience in the full life cycle of hardware products from concept to production including system architecture, design implementation, and test/verification.
- Experience with implementation of FPGA algorithms and various digital signal processing components and systems (Digital filters, transforms, multipliers, mathematical operations).
- Experience with the decomposition, traceability, and verification of digital design requirements (DOORS experience is desired).
- Demonstrated excellence in the stand alone bring up, debug and troubleshoot, and test of mixed signal circuit boards and hardware/software integration
- Proven experience in the lab testing hardware circuits using test equipment including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, power supplies, multimeters, and temperature chambers.
- Medium to high level knowledge of signal integrity concepts and best practices/rules for the layout of mixed signal circuits containing both high frequency and noisy signals.
- Demonstrate exemplary verbal and written communication skills (particularly in the development of project documentation) and an ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Experience in developing small signal digital and analog hardware designs and capturing them using industry standard schematic capture tools (Cadence/ORCAD preferred).
- Can-do attitude, self-starter, team player, multi-tasker, good time management skills, and driver of tasks from cradle to grave.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Experience designing to military specifications is desired.
- Knowledge of microprocessor architectures, the C programming language, and the embedded software development process a plus.
- Knowledge of PWM, DC and AC power conversion systems a plus.
- Knowledge of system on chip (SoC) technologies a plus.