L3 Technologies - Advanced Laser Systems Technology (ALST) is a world leader in the development and production of advanced laser rangefinders, designators, targeting systems and components. Based in Orlando, FL, ALST supports all branches of the United States Military, allied nations, OEM customers, border security and development labs.
The Sr. Digital Electrical Engineer is part of a multi-disciplinary design team developing advanced laser range finders and laser designators. This position is responsible for digital system and subsystem architecture, analysis, timing studies, system diagrams, PWA layout and component selection for advanced laser systems for use in military airborne, maritime and ground vehicle applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops Digital System Architecture for control of Laser systems
- FPGA logic design, coding, simulation, and synthesis using VHDL
- Digital circuit card design and development
- Component selection to minimize electronics size and power draw
- Develop and edit circuit schematics with OrCAD development tools and perform circuit simulation with PSPICE software.
- Analysis of power consumption, component stress, worst case tolerances, and reliability
- Develop and conduct technical presentations
- Product manufacturing and verification support
- Conducts design certification tests and document results
- Troubleshoots component failures and investigate root cause of failures in system applications.
- Tracks failure statistics and evaluate for trends.
- Recommends design improvements for failure prevention.
- Coordinating Engineering aspects of the project to meet technical, schedule and design-to-cost goals
- Ensuring that all engineering related internal processes are followed by the project design team
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments
- Work with other engineers, technicians, manufacturing and quality engineers in a team environment.
- Interfaces with customers and suppliers in technical areas relating to projects and legacy products.
- Travel to customer and supplier sites, and other L3 locations as needed.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- All other assignments as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years' digital design experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in use of SolidWorks Version 16 3D CAD software
- Working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5
- Knowledge of Military Specifications/Standards
- Possess strong analytical skills
- Possess exceptional communication (both oral and written) and listening skills, with a strong orientation to details, and the ability to make quick, informed decisions
- Ability to write clear technical documentation
- Ability to work effectively with other design disciplines as well as manufacturing to create design solutions that address often-conflicting requirements
- Proven ability to trouble shoot issues and resolve problems on a variety of products
- Strong relationship building skills at all levels of an organization and the ability to work effectively across functions within a matrix environment
- Must be able to provide effective coaching and mentoring to develop a high performing and collaborative team
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities
- Proven success in a fast paced development and manufacturing environment and possess a willingness to take ownership, accept accountability, and thrive under pressure
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated experience and thorough working knowledge of:
- ModelSim/Questa or equivalent logic simulation tools
- Libero (Microsemi), Quartus (Intel), Vivado (Xilinx) FPGA development tools
- DxDesigner or equivalent schematic capture tools
- DDR3 memory interfacing
- GigE, 10GigE, GigE Vision
- High speed serial, digital interfaces
- SPI, I2C, RS-422, LVDS
- Digital communication algorithm development and implementation
- Manipulation of packet protocols
- Must be a United States Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR - 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20), 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid U.S. Passport.
- Able to travel nationally / internationally on an as needed basis.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.