We are seeking an experienced Linux DevOps Engineer to join our growing engineering team. You will have a direct impact on Help Scout's success, while helping more than 7,000 businesses around the world. While people say they love our product, it means nothing if customers can't access our services with great performance.
AWS, Unbuntu, Chef, Git/Github, Jenkins, Docker/Compose, AuroraDB, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Redis, IMAP, New Relic, Sensu, PagerDuty, Ruby, Java, PHP
About the Role
- No matter what you want to call it - DevOps, site reliability or operations - the majority of your time will be spent building, deploying, securing, managing and optimizing highly-available, fault-tolerant and horizontally scalable systems in AWS.
- You’ll be working on a small, nimble team of six (that includes one of our co-founders & CTO) and in collaboration with our software developers to design tools and processes that support and improve the entire engineering team while implementing SaaS best practices.
- The engineering team is spread across 12 geographical zones from Hawaii to Helsinki. You’ll be working the EU/east coast shift which generally stretches from 9am → 6pm GMT.
- You could be working on a variety of upcoming projects such as
- Implementing a solution for rolling out deployments to isolated customer groups.
- Helping us define and implement our Configuration and Secrets Management project.
- Contribute to and help facilitate our transition to Dockerized deployment management and orchestration.
- The 5-week rotation follows this format: 1 week on backup on-call (which rarely sees much action), 1 week of being on-call, followed by a 3 week respite from on-call.
- After transferring on-call to your team mate, if you feel it’s been a rough week and you need some Zzz’s, you are free to take the next morning or entire day off.
- During the week following your on-call shift you can focus primarily on your larger projects and pass the one-off requests to other team members.
- You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
- You became an engineer because you like building systems, tools or products that help people.
- You design and build systems that work well and fail gracefully.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You are proficient and comfortable in the AWS ecosystem.
- You write code that other engineers can easily read and understand and you welcome reviews and feedback from your peers. You are comfortable writing tests and you thoroughly verify your work before you deploy.
- You are adept at automating service and infrastructure configuration and deployments via configuration management tools such as Chef.
- You have a deep understanding of what it takes to run web services at scale and have a solid understanding of Linux systems internals and networking; from kernel to shell, system libraries, file systems and client-server protocols.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work and time-management style to be remote-friendly.
- Help Scout is a remote team with employees in eleven countries (eight people in the Boston office). We optimize for excellence over geography and overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, chat and video conferencing.
- We’re a customer-driven company and always will be. Everything follows the customer experience, no exceptions.
- Our company is growing and has aspirations of helping millions of people around the world. Accomplishing our goals will present countless challenges and require you to excel in every aspect of the position. It’s hard work, but the people we’re looking for love exploring and solving hard problems.
- This is not the typical startup “rocket ship.” We’ll never compromise customers or the experience in favor of growth. Our purpose is to build a profitable company that small businesses love and sustain it. We optimize your career at Help Scout for the long term as well, so keeping a healthy work/life balance is an important priority.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else, provided you have 4 hours of overlap with the east coast. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Harvard Pilgrim HMO or PPO policies.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider.
- International Benefit Stipend - If you’re based outside the US, you’ll receive a monthly stipend that goes towards covering medical insurance, long and short-term disability, and accountant costs.
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks if you have or adopt a baby, 4 weeks if your partner has a baby.
- Retirement Plan/401K - 1% matching for both US and International Employees
- Personal development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee receives a Mac laptop and 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.