Discovery Biotherapeutics and Genetic Medicine at AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated research scientist to join a dynamic team supporting biologics drug discovery and engineering. As a scientist you will be responsible for the design and execution of in vitro display technologies for lead antibody identification/optimization and collaborating to generate stage-gate appropriate in vitro / cellular / in vivo data packages supporting PoC. The candidate will leverage expertise to develop and implement research to gain a mechanistic understanding of the molecular pharmacology of therapeutic molecules. The applicant should be able to analyze, document, and report data. You should possess excellent communication skills and be comfortable presenting in group settings.
- BS or MS in biology or related field with typically 0-7+ years (BS), or 0-5+ years (MS) of pharmaceutical and/or relevant experience
- Strong molecular biology skills (e.g., molecular cloning)
- Familiarity with sequence analysis tools (Vector NTI, Geneious, Genedata)
- Experience with biologics, antibodies and mimetics
- Experience with bacterial cell culture
- Understanding of protein structure and function
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Keen ability to engage internal and external scientific leaders in collaborative research
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Team player with the ability to operate in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment
- Adapt to rapid changes in project priorities and timelines
- Competency with software programs, including MS Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Hands-on experience with in vitro antibody discovery display technologies (e.g., phage, yeast display)
- Direct experience with binding assays (e.g., ELISA, flow cytometry)
- Experience in antibody engineering and optimization (e.g., affinity modulation, humanization)
- Experience with antibody library design and construction
- Flow cytometry experience
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and transfection
- Experience with protein purification and in vitro analytical techniques for protein characterization (e.g., SEC, MS)
- Experience with automation of Biologics discovery processes
- Proficiency with the software programs Prism, Geneious, Sequencher, Genedata
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
Associate Scientist I, Associate Scientist II, Scientist I or Scientist II
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.
Significant Work Activities: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Type: Experienced