Language Associates bring Avaaz to millions of new people each week by localising and rewriting Avaaz emails from English into key languages. The role requires very strong written communication skills that allow you to capture the heart of Avaaz communication and make it powerful in a new language. We like to think of Language Associates as writers, not mere translators -- your job is to make the Avaaz spirit come alive in the language of your community.
This is an exciting position at the heart of one of the most innovative and promising public organizations in the world today. It offers a unique opportunity to support large-scale social change efforts. This job will suit someone with a flexible schedule who is able to work on tight deadlines. It will require roughly 10-20 hours per week, and reports to an Avaaz Campaigner. The Korean Language Associate also works closely with the Member Engagement and Community Petitions teams.
- Take English Avaaz campaigns and turn them into sharp and compelling campaigns in Korean -- translating and setting up all relevant materials for the Avaaz website and emails. This is estimated between 1000-2000 words a week.
- Working with a team of campaigners and translators in your language to coordinate work for each campaign and project.
- Spotting campaign opportunities, especially the ones that matter to members in South Korea.
- Reviewing and supporting community petitions started on the Avaaz Community Petitions site in the language you are responsible for.
- Finding supporting sources for campaigns in your language.
- Ensuring the Avaaz website reads excellently in Korean, that there are no grammatical errors or typos, etc.
- Managing correspondence with Avaaz members in Korean in a friendly, clear, and efficient way – providing excellent member service to our members, and ensuring that member subscription, donation, and campaign queries are tracked and resolved on a weekly basis.
- Support other Avaaz campaigns and member engagement tasks when appropriate.
- Professionalism, efficiency and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment and social change.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Creativity for campaign tactics and strategies.
- Tech savvy.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required, along with native-level Korean.
Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, Gdocs, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world. For this position, the candidate would ideally be based in the Asian or European time zones.