Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on PowerToFly. Let us know if this job is closed.
Join us on the journey to get to net zero
At Carbon Direct, we dedicate our scientific, software, and business expertise to empower organizations around the world to take climate action.
Enable organizations to reduce, remove, and utilize their emissions with carbon science
We are a purpose-driven carbon management firm dedicated to helping organizations around the world reach their climate goals. We make carbon science accessible and actionable with our end-to-end platform.
Global citizens with global impact
Whether a scientist, developer, or carbon markets expert, we are united by our mission to take climate action now. We are experts in our fields and we act with confidence. Located across 4 countries and 10+ states in the U.S., we offer both remote-friendly work options and dynamic, in-person experiences with offices located in Seattle, WA and Oakland, CA.
Diverse backgrounds bring diverse perspectives
We recognize that teams with diverse backgrounds and different experiences are powerful. Bringing together a variety of perspectives only enhances how we can effectively address the climate crisis. Together, we are creating an environment where everyone is celebrated and anyone can succeed.
Check out our homebase in Seattle, WA
Carbon Direct’s main office is in Seattle, Washington. We are centrally located near the famous Pike Place Market and Sculpture Park. From our office with panoramic views, we can look out at the beauty of the Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains, and be inspired in our work to save the planet.
We are looking for a flexible, dynamic Controller to manage and develop finance & accounting operations and processes across Carbon Direct Inc. A successful candidate combines solid analytical skills with a deep knowledge of accounting principles to prepare and analyze financial reports and forecasts. They are detail-oriented, able to create account processes across our fast-growing company, and able to collaborate effectively with team members across departments. Although a background in climate work is a plus but not a prerequisite, a passion for solving climate problems is required.Responsibilities
- Responsible for all accounting-related activities including financial statement preparation, tax filings, and the development and documentation of policies and procedures related to these such activities
- Setup and refine accounting infrastructure for a new and growing organization, including expense reimbursement, invoice creation and ERP processes; experience with Quickbooks and Expensify preferred
- Work with auditors and close out annual audits effectively and efficiently
- Establish a cash management process, set processes around controls, approvals and overall accounting workflows
- Manage accounts receivables and accounts payables and maintaining records of vendor relations and statuses
- Compute and process accruals and receivables
- Manage monthly reconciliation of bank and credit card accounts
- Run monthly and quarterly close processes
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends for leadership team
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by maintaining compliance documentation and maintaining historical records by filing documents electronically
- Manage payroll accounting and intercompany transactionsWork with our business operations team to forecast income and expenses
- Anticipate and evaluate business needs to make sure that the financial organization and related systems appropriately support the company’s growth
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in accounting or finance preferred
- At least 10 years of direct experience in an accounting, auditing or finance role.
- Experience working for a fast growing, entrepreneurial organization is preferred.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or similar certification is required.
- Knowledge of GAAP, accounting theory, principles, and practices, including related to software capitalization, taxes and revenue recognition
- Proven analytical abilities, well-developed communication and organizational skills, and keen attention to detail are vital.
While we love our work, our lives aren’t defined by it. At Carbon Direct, we offer a robust benefits package that considers the whole person, their partners, and their families – and we’re always looking to improve.
Our U.S. benefits* include:
Comprehensive nationwide medical, dental, and vision coverage. See a preview of our coverage here.
20 days of paid time off and 11 company-wide holidays
16 weeks of paid parental and family leave
Remote-friendly work culture with annual company-wide retreats
Reimbursement for your work-from-home setup
*These benefits apply to U.S.-based employees only. Employees outside of the U.S. receive benefits that vary by country. To learn more, contact email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.