Position: Silicon Photonics Packaging Engineer
Duration: 4 months
Date: 05/15/2023- 08/25/2023
Come create the technology that helps the world act together
Nokia is committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. Your career here will have a positive impact on people’s lives and will help us build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable, and inclusive world.
We challenge ourselves to create an inclusive way of working where we are open to new ideas, empowered to take risks and fearless to bring our authentic selves to work.
The team you'll be part of
The pandemic has highlighted how important telecoms networks are to society. Nokia’s Network Infrastructure group is at the heart of a revolution to bring more and faster network capacity to people worldwide through our ambition, innovation, and technical expertise.
Current B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. student in electrical engineering, physics, applied physics, or other similar fields.
What you will learn and contribute to
We are searching for a Silicon Photonics Packaging Co-op for our summer 2023 Term to engage in the research and development of silicon photonics transceiver modules.
As part of our team, you will:
- Perform package design simulations, tolerance analyses and characterization.
- Develop semiconductor and optical packaging processes in-house, or in close partnership with contract manufacturers.
- Plan and Drive prototype assembly builds to enable deliveries for early design validation.
- Drive package debug activities during product validation and qualification.
- Own Design Rules documents and ensure Design for Manufacturing specifications are met.
- Manage advanced packaging components in the Bill of Materials for new products.
What is Nokia looking for from me
- Experience with package and process design and development, from design to production.
- Experience with design for manufacturing, 2.5D/3D packaging, and TSVs.
- Experience with design and simulations relevant to optical packaging using free space optics or fiber coupling.
- Experience with documentation of fabrication, inspection, and assembly processes.
- Solid interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills in order to interact with engineering staff, external vendors and contractors effectively.
- Written communication and documenting skills.
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience with optical epoxies, non-hermetic packaging, and high-volume packaging.
- Experience with integrated optics and flip chip assembly.
- Experience in the semiconductor chip and wafer-level back-end processing, assembly, and/or packaging.
- Experience with high-speed electronics package design and/or laser package design.
- Experience with metrology techniques such as SEM/XSEM, confocal microscopy, or acoustic imaging - or equivalent practical work experience.
Why we're awesome
Nokia offers flexible and hybrid working schemes, continuous learning opportunities, well-being programs to support you mentally and physically, opportunities to join and get supported by employee resource groups, mentoring programs and highly diverse teams with an inclusive culture where people thrive and are empowered.
Company Culture: We believe our people are our greatest asset and we aim to foster a fun, challenging, positive, and inclusive work environment. We offer 1-on-1 mentorship, learning and development opportunities, global impact and interaction, and flexible work/life balance.
Meaningful Co-op Term: During your co-op term, you will have the opportunity to test out the latest technologies and work on innovative projects that could leave a global impact. You get to use skills learned in the classroom and apply it to real work situations while gaining professional hands-on experience.
Nokia is committed to inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer
Nokia has received the following recognitions for its commitment to inclusion & equality:
- One of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere
- Gender-Equality Index by Bloomberg
- Workplace Pride Global Benchmark
- LGBT+ equality & best place to work by HRC Foundation
At Nokia, we act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people.
Nokia’s employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
We are committed to a culture of inclusion built upon our core value of respect.
As a federal contractor & pursuant to Presidential Exec. Order 14042, Nokia mandates for all employees a COVID-19 vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation.
Join us and be part of a company where you will feel included and empowered to succeed.
See you this Summer 2023!
“The intern program at Nokia is truly designed to give students all the support and guidance we need to excel in our professional careers. Working at Nokia as a software developer Co-op, I was able to learn and grow with the guidance of mentors from across the company through a multitude of research, development, and leadership opportunities. It was exciting to be able to contribute to real-world projects and apply my previous experiences to new domains, especially since the Nokia work culture encourages innovation and creativity. I’ve made lifelong connections and skills through my time here, and I’m so grateful to have been a part of the Nokia team!” – Mara Hubelbank, Former Nokia Co-op student, Spring - Summer 2021