GitHub is looking for an experienced product designer to build the future of our platform. Millions of developers use GitHub every day to keep their teams unblocked, run CI, review and merge code, discover new open source projects, and much more. We build solutions that improve the developer experience, so they can automate, build, and deploy their software with confidence.
In this team, you'll be partnering with product designers, system designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers to build products like PRs, Repos, GitHub Actions, GitHub Advanced Security, Github Enterprise Experiences, GitHub Mobile, Codespaces or Copilot.
The GitHub Product Design Team is a group of talented individuals with varied backgrounds in product design, design systems, design ops, front-end development, and illustration. You'll focus on building high-quality experiences for customers by working with engineers, product managers, and other product designers to create and advocate for high-quality design.
You will feel at home if you are detail-oriented, passionate about designing fantastic experiences, and want to enable the next generation of software creators to be productive wherever they go.
What we're looking for:
Product Designers at GitHub are expert individual contributors; they're given a lot of autonomy and trust to work on our most impactful design projects. For this specific role, we're looking for someone who values:
- Progress and tempo: It's easy to get caught up in the meta-design details, so our team must be particularly mindful that we make decisions quickly and keep moving forward. This means embracing "incremental correctness" and valuing the results that a fast-paced workflow can bring.
- Candor: We encourage candor and recognize its role in building trust between designers, engineers, and other collaborators. Making decisions for projects, design patterns, and processes will yield better results when we get to the "real talk" faster. It can take time and effort to get there, but it's worth it.
- Shaping: You'll be designing developer experiences with a point of view, where deciding what not to do is as essential as deciding what should make it into the final product.
- Systems thinking: Our team has to apply decisions holistically, making sure to look at new patterns in context to the larger system of the product. This role requires a designer who can think systemically when it comes to information architecture as well as UI patterns.
- Visual design: Mastering the elements and principles of design is essential for this role. We know good design is not just about aesthetics, but only a well-executed design can be beautiful.
- Design responsive and accessible experiences that work across multiple platforms.
- Become an authority on our visual design language, extending upon our existing systems—such as our color system, navigation components, and interaction patterns.
- Seek and provide regular design feedback and direction with your peers.
- Work closely with customers to understand their problems and workflows, respond to feedback and bugs, and validate product ideas early.
- Seek out opportunities for connecting with people and teams across GitHub who are working on related projects.
- Build meaningful relationships across the product, engineering, and other cross-functional partners you're working with.
You might be a fit if:
- You have 5 years minimum design experience as an individual contributor.
- You have a strong product design portfolio with experience creating mobile applications.
- You are comfortable using Git version control or have experience building software with GitHub.
- You have experience designing for internationalized products, including designing with non-Latin characters.
- You are organized and are comfortable contributing to multiple design projects.
- You can identify high-impact problems and opportunities, then iterate quickly to validate your assumptions.
- You are a great storyteller and are comfortable sharing your work with other designers, managers, and leaders.
These qualifications will help you stand out:
- You have a technical background or experience working on developer tools.
- You have experience contributing to or using an established design system.
- You have experience designing cross-platform experiences.
Follow GitHub To Get Updated When They Post New Roles On PowerToFly! GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates,... Read more