The Software Engineer II develops, implements, and maintains software solutions that enable business operations to realize company goals & objectives. The incumbent performs analysis, design, coding, debugging, testing, and support of software applications. May be assigned to develop new applications/systems, enhance/upgrade existing systems or provide production support. He/she works independently on moderately complex projects, receiving only general direction. May provide assistance and direction to less experienced peers.
- Works with the Agile Program Manager (APM), Digital Product Manager (DPM), and Business Systems Analyst (BSA) to accurately capture stakeholder requests and system specifications and translate them into engineering artifacts, which typically include design specifications, source code, test scripts and test results.
- Coordinates with software architects and Software engineer IVs to ensure that the engineering realization is in accordance with Enterprise Architecture principles and software development best practices.
- As part of Agile teams, completes software development work which includes application design, coding, code review and testing. Keeps Agile team and APM apprised of project status.
- Offers suggestions to stakeholders on devising effective and efficient approaches to achieve project and program objectives.
- Manages engineering risks by proactively tracking and communicating issues, and devising methods to mitigating them.
- Liaises with other project and program areas to coordinate interdependencies and resolve issues.
- Supports business units in the resolution of in-depth user questions and issues following production support process and SLA’s.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technology and software engineering standards, practices and tools.
- Provides input to APM/DPM in creation of Product Roadmap, High Level Estimates
- Collaborates with IT management to define and develop documentation & engineering artifact standards, guidelines, processes, and templates.
Technology Experience and Expertise
- Experienced in scalable, high-availability back end technologies Oracle, SQL Server and PostgreSQL
- Experience with non-relational database technologies preferred such as Memcached, MongoDB, Redis
- Front end development experience including ReactJS, Webpack, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap, jQuery, Accessibility and Responsive Layouts UI/UX development experience.
- Experience with Insurance / Reinsurance Systems and Data
- Understanding of server-side software, scalability, performance, and reliability Skills
- Understanding of the OSI model, Networking, OS Layer and Services
- Understanding of continuous integration and deployment tools like Octopus deploy, Jenkins
- Understanding of the Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Swift, is a nice to have even if it is lab experience.
- Excellent communication skills:
- Excellent command of the English language, i.e. Ability to write and understand the written documents, email and other forms of electronic communications.
- Ability to discuss, articulate and simplify technology to non-technical people.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Advanced knowledge of the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized software engineering best practices, methods & techniques.
- Extensive experience in developing software applications on the assigned technology platform.
- Extensive knowledge on source code change management and related tools.
- Knowledge and experience using agile software development principles, process and tools..
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills in order to provide end user/business owner systems support.
- Knowledge of production support processes such as incident and problem management techniques.
Required knowledge and skills would typically be acquired through a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, or related field plus 3 to 5 years of related experience.The Company:
Arch Insurance is a global insurer offering our clients superior coverage and service. We embody the Arch guiding principle of focusing on retaining experienced and talented employees to differentiate us from the rest of the pack. Our group operates from offices in the US, Canada, Bermuda, UK, and Australia, providing specialty risk solutions to clients worldwide across a wide range of industries. With nearly 20 years of operating history and strong financial ratings, our track record remains solid.
Arch Insurance employs a disciplined underwriting approach and prudent risk selection across all types of business. Our mission is to provide our insureds with superb coverage and claims handling through careful and diligent underwriting of risks and business-friendly solutions. Across our global operations, Arch Insurance employees are ready to meet your needs with professionalism and excellence.