The Managing Consultant plans, directs, and coordinates activities of designated Data projects and associated personnel, subcontractors, and vendors to ensure that client service delivery is effectively managed on all dimensions: budget, timeline, quality, deliverables/outcomes, teaming/collaboration and updates/communication with a high degree of client satisfaction. Teams with other consulting and sales colleagues to develop a “trusted advisor” relationship with clients with the specific objective of achieving further penetration into accounts and attaining meaningful follow-on sales.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Regularly serves in the lead consultant role on a project team to provide guidance to other team members. Serves as the executive program manager with responsibility for managing client expectations for specific Data projects, while seeking and fostering additional opportunities with clients. As part of this role, is responsible for managing the quality assurance process to deliver quality on-time deliverables.
- Identifies all points of contact from the system perspective and establishes contact with necessary stakeholders
- Reviews business and technical requirements from multiple user areas to ensure compatibility, identify gaps & inconsistencies and eliminate conflicting requirements
- Understands the business factors and motivators driving technology decisions with clients
- Participates in determining business requirements, technical requirements, and solution architecture for clients
- Provides input to final recommendations for technology solutions to meet business requirements
- Prepares and completes technical design inspection of other team members
- Gathers feedback and input from team members and works with senior project staff to optimize client relationship and improve quality
- Consistently achieves outstanding Client Satisfaction results on all consulting engagements
- Maintains accountability to work estimates and project financials
- Builds client-focused relationships with clients to identify business challenges
- Makes recommendations to solve client problems
- Complies with all time compliance and time entry guidelines
- Meets billable utilization targets
Practice Development: Supports activities that drive practice growth and profitability
- Directly interacts with clients, sales personnel and Presales Architects to identify, qualify, and validate client requirements for technology solutions. Pursuit activities include meeting with C-Suite personnel, creating and delivering presentations to drive Data solutions.
- Creates solution prototypes and POCs which illustrate business value and garner client buy-in
- Provides technical perspective to ensure a realistic estimation of scope, cost and level of effort for proposal generation
- Creates proposals and contractually sound Statements of Work (SOWs), solution work estimates, and total solution pricing for profitable post-sales delivery integration, implementation and delivery. Provides significant and demonstrated services solution sales to meet practice goals.
- Develops Cost/Benefit Analysis and rationale for large complex projects or programs with input from others on the account team
- Provides technical leadership in the 2-3 core competencies and related offerings of technical specialty
- Conducts research & development work targeted to create frameworks, utilities, or best practices to enhance the efficiency and quality of client delivery efforts
- Catalogues existing intellectual property (IP), determining strategic areas for IP development (including input into training and education plans), and evangelizes the use of practice IP by delivery teams
- Contributes and develops best practices, strategies, methodologies and documentation/templates. Occasionally presents externally as a thought leader at a regional level.
Staff Oversight: Maintains accountability to work estimates and project financials
- Directly supervises project staff with responsibility for ensuring engagement success and appropriate use of practice tools, methodology, deliverable preparation, and client presentation
- Leads code or other technical reviews and presents constructive feedback to technical team
- Mentors less senior personnel and serves as escalation point for their technical related project issues
- Steps into team leadership roles and empowers others to increase contribution and level of responsibility
Training/Certifications: Engages in professional development, including obtaining industry related certifications as directed by management, to maintain continued growth in professional skills and knowledge
Administrative Overhead: In a timely manner: responds to email, phone calls and other messaging contacts, completes time, expense reports and status reports as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- At least eight (8) years related work experience with one or more solutions supported by the Data practice to include database administration experience with all of the following:
- Installing, patching, migrating, maintaining, and upgrading SQL Server databases
- Virtual environments (such as VMWare and/or Hyper-V)
- Hive availability technologies such as log shipping, mirroring, clustering, and/or Always On
- At least five (5) years related work experience building solutions using elastic architectures within Microsoft Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Successful and applicable experience taking a lead role in designing and building large scale, high quality operational or analytical data solutions that have been successfully delivered to customers
Other Required Qualifications
- Experience with developing strategies for SQL platform migration between data centers
- Experience with design and execution of migration plans to move all SQL servers / databases from on prem datacenters to a cloud solution
- Experience with data migration strategies ranging from backup-restore, to log shipping, to designing, configuration and implementing Distributed Availability Group(s)
- Experience with designing and implementing multiple tenant/multi database architecture in Azure PaaS or IaaS
- Experience with configuring Distributed Availability Group(s) between on-premises cluster and Azure DR cluster.
- Experience with assessing HA and DR requirements through design, installation and configuration of multiple MS clusters supporting multiple environments such as PROD, DEV, and DMZ
- Experience with the installation and configuration of multiple instances of 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2019
- Experience with multiple side-by-side and in-place upgrades
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a wide variety of client and team members, including management and technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to understand a client’s requirements and present appropriate architectural options
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and leadership to less experienced technical team members, including delegating technical tasks, and resolving issues of poor technical execution without escalation
- Demonstrated ability to architect large projects from pre-sales Discovery to Solution Outline
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a wide variety of client and Sirius team members, including management and technical staff
- Demonstrated presentation and communication skills, including effectively communicating one-on-one, and in small and large groups, using a variety of presentation methods to sustain the audiences’ engagement
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills; ability to handle multiple concurrent projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive working relationships and conduct complex and important work critical to the organization in a team consulting environment
- Demonstrated solid planning and organizational skills, and strategic and analytical thinker competencies.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure solutions are maintained for high availability, scalability, security, and supportability
- Experience with relational database administration, including with security (add/delete/modify user accounts), basic networking, schema creation/manipulation, performance tuning, server hardware, logging, monitoring, and policy creation and enforcement
- Consulting experience, especially in an agency or global systems integrator environment
- Certifications in relevant areas of specialty, such as MCDBA, MCSA, etc.
- Development experience with .NET, SSIS ELT/ETL, and/or SSAS (tabular/MDX)
- Understanding of SQL Query Plans and the ability to solve performance issues related to them
- Experience using MS SQL database/server monitoring tools like SolarWinds, Idera, dbWatch, etc.
- Experience with Windows Server 2012 and higher
- Experience with SQL backups, server log reviews, error corrections, database creation/changes, and scheduled replication of databases
- Experience with SQL database maintenance operations, including workload pattern and database usage
- Experience with application support
- Experience with database tuning, and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated understanding of normalization and referential integrity
This position exists to provide technical consulting solutions to customers and as such requires the ability to travel to and from customer sites and interact with customers on an ongoing and regular basis.
The above primary duties, responsibilities, and position requirements are not all inclusive.
CDW is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards and to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of coworkers and candidates for employment and their families, as well as the community.
CDW requires all coworkers be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the only exceptions being a documented, legally required medical or religious accommodation. Prior to starting with CDW, successful candidates will be required to: (i) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide CDW with proof of full vaccination; or (ii) apply for and receive a medical or religious-based accommodation to be exempt from the mandatory vaccination policy.